Manual Steering Conversion

Jim

Hello everybody! Currently I'm working on a '79 Malibu 2door post. I'm looking to convert to manual steering, and all I can find are aftermarket boxes for $500+ bucks! I'm new in researching this kind of conversion, but there has to be a better alternative! V6 El Camino box? if I can't come up with anything I'm just gonna plug the factory box and pray I don't crash! Any help would be appreciated! THANK YOU!!!

You can get a mid eighties S-10 box that an easy bolt on. That's what I run, but its a horrible ratio, somehting like 6.75 turns lock to lock.
The better alternative (I'm hoping to convert shortly) is the TRZ manual rack and pinion conversion. It's about 600 bucks and you can get it through Hartline Performance.
TRZ Tubular Control Arms - G-Body

When switching to the S-10 steering box, can I use the S-10 steering arm (pitman arm? is that the same thing? I don't know my lingo...) or do I need to swap the Malibu arm onto the S-10 box? Also, is it a straight bolt on swap or is there more involved? If its a simple swap, thats the way I'm going:D (thats all the funds permit!) Thanks for all the help! It's time to start scrounging around the u-pick-it yards!!!

Let me know when you hit the junk, er, I mean, "salvage" yards:D Gotta look for a couple 2wd blazers with dual piston brakes;)