Max Boost Torque Brake Launch Kit

S

Sergeant

Was reading about this in GM high tech performance. My question is with the stock brake system with the exception of larger and softer brake shoes how much boost can you launch on as aposed to the Launch Kit? Would you really want to launch at a much higher boost if it is just going to lead to wheel spin. Using stock rear suspension except for atr bar, poly bushings on the control arms and drag radial slicks.

Originally posted by Sergeant
Was reading about this in GM high tech performance. My question is with the stock brake system with the exception of larger and softer brake shoes how much boost can you launch on as aposed to the Launch Kit? Would you really want to launch at a much higher boost if it is just going to lead to wheel spin. Using stock rear suspension except for atr bar, poly bushings on the control arms and drag radial slicks.

Yes I would Love to Here More About This Launch Kit??
More InFo, Like Were to buy how much the pro's And Con's
Thanks For Any info,

The cons are supposedly it uses compression fittings rather than proper inverted flair brake line fittings.

The concept is the same as the "jumper valve" from 1989 that bypasses the proportioning valve so the rear brakes get all the pressure tha powermaster can put out (another reason why not using the proper inverted flair fittings is silly).

If your car is having trouble with wheelspin at current boost levels, this mod will help very little :)

Originally posted by Ted A.
Transbrake?

Not hardly. It's just a brake system proportioning valve bypass.

If all the braking force of a powermaster is put to the rear wheels trying to hold back 20psi, you can really do some backing plate damage

I have the bigger brake cylinders and the soft shoes AND the StageRight Transbrake. I put the brake cylinders and the soft shoes in and found that the car tended to swap ends under hard braking.... I put an adjustable proportioning valve on, but it's a pain to be constantly fooling with it. One setting for the track, another for street. Plus I was still limited to 5-6psi boost.
So I got the transbrake. Made about 20 hard launches (oh yeah, you can launch really really hard) at the track over a year's period of time. Then ate the torque convertor, although I don't know if that was related to the transbrake. Ate another torque convertor, again don't know what the reason was. Hadn't taken it to the track yet, but had made a hard launch or two on the street with the transbrake. Don't know why that would lunch the TC though, you'd think it would be harder on the trans internals themselves... which have held up well.
Keith

Where can I get the gxntra mag. and with a basically stock rear suspension ( drag radials 275/50/15, control arms, springs and shocks ) how much boost are you guys able to lauch at. The engine has been built up so it wouldn't be a limiting factor and I don't want to go with a transbrake as I don't want the expense of a new trans. My trans has a shift kit but is basically stock.

let's face it, racing is hard on your car......particularly if you maximize the performance potential...to think otherwise and worry about damaging various components is silly...

either you want to go fast and take the risk of breaking something or you don't.......no middle ground

damage can be minimized if the components used are matched to the performance desired, but this costs $$$

no free lunch

If my buildup was at a point that I needed 20lb launches I would not try and do it with the brakes. Either a transbrake type setup or a 4500stall converter which would not be as harsh on the brakes as a maxi boost brake kit. Try and launch at 20lbs without a fully prepared front and rear race suspension and 28x10 slicks. You will be going sideways chasing the track personnel over the walls:eek:

how about a better brake cylinder as one by mpbrakes that raises braking power to all four wheels? And how much boost is could before your just going up in smoke?

i have the bigger brake cylinders and a bypass value (bypassing the proportional valve). i have easily got 17 to 19 lbs of boost on launch. 2800 stall converter. the car runs 11.7s without a good tune. never had any brake problems using this set up.

How about forgetting all that and installing a 50 horse nitrous hit till you get out about 60' ?

I have the bypass kit from Ron Joseph. UNGN's correct about the supplied compression fitting hardware. I replaced all this with double flared lies and brass 'T's throughout. System is awsome! I have it hooked up to my Line-Loc switch through a 3 way switch and works flawlessly. 16lbs on street tires, in the rain and then I let off out of fear :) As stated above, I'm certain stresses are being placed on things not originally designed for this load...whatever, I'll replace it when it brakes.
HTH
Jim

Originally posted by LoudMouth
i have the bigger brake cylinders and a bypass value (bypassing the proportional valve). i have easily got 17 to 19 lbs of boost on launch. 2800 stall converter. the car runs 11.7s without a good tune. never had any brake problems using this set up.

Loudmouth,
Were can I get the bypass valve, And how much do they run,
Thanks,
Seneca Lafler,