Maximum boost level on a TE-44

d0n_3d

Boost is good.
I was just wondering how high I can crank this thing up. Right now with alcohol I have it set on 21-22 lbs at WOT in all gears. How high can I go until the efficiency level goes out the window? I remember with the stock turbo I was able to run as high as 23 lbs but any higher and I would knock big time because the air was so hot. This is with race gas of course. With 116 octane I was hoping to run at least 25 lbs on the stock motor.

I think lotsa guys run the 49's and 44's at 25 psi. with no problems.

I think I remember reading 28psi. is the limit before the hairdryer gets really hot. ;)

I'm sure others will chime in too. :)

I just got my alky kit tuned for 25 psi with the Te-44. This is with a 20 deg chip also. Watch the knock retard with that alky kit, I am running a single nozzle SMC kit, pump speed on 10, turn on point around 10 psi, 100% denatured, Fuel pressure at 45 deg line off. I have 40 lb injectors, precision tc, te-44.

I experimented running a higher timing chip-- 24 deg of timing, and running lower boost, and this "feels" faster, but I won't be able to tell until i see a dyno, or a strip.

salvage sounds correct, i think the 44 is good for about 28 psi on the stock motor. My motor is stock and 25 psi seems good, but I am tuning for zero knock.

Good luck!

~Murt

I would say 25-27 psi is about al the more the TE44 is good for before you start pushing it out of it's "sweet" spot. I know with my combo the difference between 21 and 25 is amazing! I tune for 25 psi with a 23º chip running 92 pump and alky...so far so good.

ive hit 30 lbs ona few occasions with my 49 but this was from roll start so the i/c is getting cool air and at night probably 70 degrees. no knock even at top of third and alky on full blast but in the daytime at the hottest part of the day a quick blast to 30 lbs for a second yielded 9* KR. not sure if it was tire spin but i dont think it was. ive run 25 psi for a while now and it pulls nicely and is fine with teh dump open or closed and actually runs a bit rich with alky on full blast.

Depending on the rest of your combo you can prolly get it to 40#'s, it just won't make anymore hp after a certain boost level. Where that point is depends on your entire combo. If you have a restrictive stock set up, it will run out of efficiency sooner, but you can back more air up in the manifold (boost #'s). If you put the same turbo on a big stage motor you will max the turbo out and because it is a free flowing motor you will not back up air into the manifold, and max the turbo out at like 10#'s or something. I'm pretty sure thats how it works anyways.:)

yep. my friends TTA with ported heads/big valves/cam needed alky to run 16 psi on the stock turbo. way out of its efficiency range.

I have run..

..up to 28 psi. I have a the pte .63 housing on mine, which is basically like a garret .82 housing, which makes the turbo more efficient compared to a small .63 garret housing. My motor does have ported heads/intake, and a front mount. I have heard the sweat spot is around 25, but I guessing it depends on the combo, and how much timing you like running.

HTH

25 lbs on alky and 92 octane? damn i wish i could do that! i can't get 15-16 lbs without knocking like hell with my dual nozzle alky...sigh...maybe one day i will get this thing tuned...i swear my car hasn't been able to go WOT in years because it knocks...some days it doesn't knock at all...some days it redlines the knock meter at half throttle!:mad: :mad: :mad:

ok first of all dont use alky at 15 lbs. it can knock from being too rich which im certain it is with full pump speed, dual nozzles and low boost. also i like to test from a roll. ive seen more than one instance of 30*+ of KR from tire spin. find what your max boost is on no alky. then turn it to mid pump speed or a little bit less for dual nozzle. set it to come on about 10 psi. roll into it from a roll and gradually increase the boost with each test pass. take out fuel and insert alky to make the hi boost numbers. alky has the octane and cooling properties that 93 pump gas dont, use it to your advantage. start slowly and use a real knock reader i.e. DS, T-Link, SM, not the gauges, ive heard too much of them giving flaky readings.

also the alky may bog the motor for a second coming on at 10 psi. my motor seems to like it on at around 11-12 psi. any higher the temps rise too much for the alky to control and i get too much transitional knock. getting the alky in and working ASAP aids in cooling and final boost holding capabilty. i run 21 degrees of timing, 93 octane, and a single M-15 nozzle, 25 psi boost, and most importantly 100% DENATURED-NO ADDITIVES OR PRESERVATIVES ('cept for a blast or three of WD-40 here and there) everyday. never see more than 3* KR or so 98% or the time.