You can type here any text you want

Might be getting '82 GN Sport Coupe...what should I look for?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1982TA

Hello,

This is a BIG Maybe right now as far as getting the car, a guy is looking to trade cars and if he want's mine I might go for it.

Anyway, he has an '82 GN Sport coupe, with 4barrel carb and turbo setup. Right now he has it looking like an '86-'87 GN clone. He hasn't gotten back with me yet, but I have some questions for him. i don't know if he changed interior or not... my question is though, what should I be looking for and how do I know FOR SURE it's a GN Sport Coupe? I've read some info on these cars but I'm somewhat confused. Some '82 GN's were not Turbo, but the GN Sport Coupe was the ONLY one turbo?? Would this be correct? Also I've read these are pretty rare. What are the chances of getting parts for these cars, especially interior and exterior badges? If everything goes through I'd like to revert it back to it's original appearance. From the pics I seen of the car, it doesn't have the original wheels (Probably impossible to find) and shouldn't it have a "sport coupe" badge as well? I know the gauges have a silver background...that is about all I know with these cars.

If anyone can help out, I'd appreciate it!

You say that some were not turbo. Just the opposite. Theyre ALL non turbo. The turbo ones were just rumours. And I'm not sure even that was confirmed or not. Theres only supposed to be a SMALL handful that were. And the 82 Grand National is the father of our gn's, and theres only 215 ever made. VERY rare.
And he has it looking like an 87 gn? That's a HUGE transformation right there. Theyre not even similar. Not even close man. Depending on how close to an 87 gn he made it, I would not consider it. Which, sounds to me like he did paint and powerplant in the least. Which, would just DESTROY the ENTIRE REASON for owning an 82. In the buick world, rarity doesnt count. It doesnt make the price go up at all. In other circles it does, but not in the turbo buick world. For us, its performance. The slower it is, the less its worth. I know that 'worth' is ultimately up to the individual, but overall, on the average, performance trumps rarity in our world. (not to me though. I place rarity over performance still) And because of this, you can get good condition hot air buicks, or 82 gn's for dam good prices.
At any rate, it sounds to me that the whole purpose for owning an 82 gn, is gone. I wouldnt buy it. And to find parts for it? Forget it. It's not going to happen. Period. (though those wheels turn up on ebay pretty regularly)
Heres what the cars supposed to look like from the outside, and heres sort of what the interiors supposed to look like. The interior shot, is of an 84 gn. The interior of an 82 is almost identical, but I'm thinking the sand colored accents you see, are a darker grey instead. Same concept though. And the dash, is from the 81-83 styles of regals. totally different. Honestly, I think the 82 gn's a HOT number, and would be VERY proud driving one of those around. It's a very interesting part of our history, and should be preserved.
82grandnational.gif
[/IMG]
buickinterior.jpg
[/IMG]
buickdash.jpg
[/IMG]

Hello,

This is a BIG Maybe right now as far as getting the car, a guy is looking to trade cars and if he want's mine I might go for it.

Anyway, he has an '82 GN Sport coupe, with 4barrel carb and turbo setup. Right now he has it looking like an '86-'87 GN clone. He hasn't gotten back with me yet, but I have some questions for him. i don't know if he changed interior or not... my question is though, what should I be looking for and how do I know FOR SURE it's a GN Sport Coupe? I've read some info on these cars but I'm somewhat confused. Some '82 GN's were not Turbo, but the GN Sport Coupe was the ONLY one turbo?? Would this be correct? Also I've read these are pretty rare. What are the chances of getting parts for these cars, especially interior and exterior badges? If everything goes through I'd like to revert it back to it's original appearance. From the pics I seen of the car, it doesn't have the original wheels (Probably impossible to find) and shouldn't it have a "sport coupe" badge as well? I know the gauges have a silver background...that is about all I know with these cars.

If anyone can help out, I'd appreciate it!

was that on ebay recently?

the rumor is less than 25 of the 82 GNs were turbo. Sounds like a turbo regal Non-GN.
Not worth very much IMO

BTW if you get it, and you want 82GN wheels, I have them

Numbers keep going up and down on how many turbo's were made. Last I heard there were like 15 known to have been made. The wheels were used on several 82-83 models and may have been on a few other non-turbo Regals during that time (my 83 T-Type had the same wheels). Performance wise...they are pathetic compared to any 84-up SFI car..but decent by 1982 standards. SOME of the non GN parts you can still find in a few wrecking yards such as common Regal dash parts, turbo guages, basic stuff...but they are getting pretty hard to find now that they are nearly 30 years old. I wouldnt buy one unless it was completely original (even if it was in poor shape) due to most of the parts that made it an 82 GN being so damn hard to find. As long as its all there you can probably restore most of the stuff with some hard work.

Look at the Registry page above. It's the most realiable source - it lists actual VIN numbers.

Are you really looking at an '82 GN? Many people swear they have an '82 GN, when it really is just a Sport Coupe. It mus have T Tops and grey interior to begin with.

The production numbers I see quoted make me laugh. All the 'experts' insisting they know how many were made. Nobody guessed higher than 25 and I have found 35 so far. :tongue:

....The production numbers I see quoted make me laugh. All the 'experts' insisting they know how many were made. Nobody guessed higher than 25 and I have found 35 so far. :tongue:

See that's why it irks me when the SFI and I/C GN owners start quoting numbers. Some may know, lots just guess based on misinformation.

Good thing is that the '82 has something in common with the later SFI's and GN I/C's. Myth....:D

See that's why it irks me when the SFI and I/C GN owners start quoting numbers. Some may know, lots just guess based on misinformation.

Good thing is that the '82 has something in common with the later SFI's and GN I/C's. Myth....:D
Yep and why isn't B4Black a Mod here anymore :confused:

thanks for all the replies, but I'm not going to trade the guy. He sent me more pics, and the car is just too far from originality that I'm sure it would be very hard to get all the correct parts...and I'm having a hard enough time finding correct parts for my '82 TA.

The car doesn't have T-Tops, nor does it have the gray seats with black in the middle. The seats look original, but almost look like a bench style seat. They are big and "pillowy" and square looking. Looks like a lot of interior trim is missing. Also, the front and rear bumper fillers are missing...doesn't make any sense. And there is a LOT of rust on the rear quarter panel. Would have to be cut out and new one welded in. Has sport coupe emblems on the car...not sure then if it's a "true" GN, but it does have the Turbo engine with the 4 barrel carb so it is the early style. Seems like too much work for me, my TA is in MUCH better shape. If it was more complete I'd considerer it but it's too much work to get it back to stock I would think.

I dont claim to be an "expert" but I do know a few things about the early cars..like I said..I had one.

The car doesn't have T-Tops, nor does it have the gray seats with black in the middle. The seats look original, but almost look like a bench style seat. They are big and "pillowy" and square looking. Looks like a lot of interior trim is missing. Also, the front and rear bumper fillers are missing...doesn't make any sense. And there is a LOT of rust on the rear quarter panel. Would have to be cut out and new one welded in. Has sport coupe emblems on the car...not sure then if it's a "true" GN, but it does have the Turbo engine with the 4 barrel carb so it is the early style. Seems like too much work for me, my TA is in MUCH better shape. If it was more complete I'd considerer it but it's too much work to get it back to stock I would think.

From your description, it is not an '82 Grand National. It is a Sport Coupe (renamed T Type in 1983).

HMM article

Hemmings Mucsle Machines recently did an article on the original (1982) GN. The car they review is a turbo. It is well written and quite detailed. You might want to contact them for a back issue if you are still interested in the car.

Ravi

Back