You can type here any text you want

Monday Night Football stolen by Cable TV

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Blown&Injected

OK stolen is a harsh choice of word, but now I have to buy cable, or satellite to watch MNF because ESPN is going to pay the NFL 1.1 Billion!!!!!!!

ABC was loosing money because they were paying $600 million per season. I am not against profit but this sounds damn greedy to me - it's a stinkin' ball game folks!

Need to watch it just to see who is advertising so we know who is overcharging for products.

This thread inspired by the "Don't you just hate list" thread and the American firms that sub their manufacturing to foreign nations to pay less than $1/day to the workers and ten bazillion to some chumps to say look at us, we got paid to say we like this product because we play ball games on TV

just FYI for you ESPN = ABC = Disney

the switch was not big news.. the deal has been done for a bout 2 years.

If it is just a game - you won't miss it. Big time sports = big time money.

Go to your local high school for a pure game.

Since when is making money a bad thing???

Local bars will still have it for free. :)

One beer per half should keep your seat. :eek: ;)

Reaper said:
just FYI for you ESPN = ABC = Disney

the switch was not big news.. the deal has been done for a bout 2 years.

I know, but ESPN is not on the air and I canceled my cable some time ago after they could not fix the poor picture and sound. - do not really miss it.

fitz3820 said:
If it is just a game - you won't miss it. Big time sports = big time money.

Go to your local high school for a pure game.

Since when is making money a bad thing???

I will not miss it and because it is more of a social thing, several of my friends have cable or satellite.

PS, I did say in the OP that I am not against profit but this sounds like greed.

salvageV6 said:
Local bars will still have it for free. :)

One beer per half should keep your seat. :eek: ;)

The way the MADD people have taken over what were once rational laws, 25 years ago, that is about all the beer one may legally drink while out these days.

Blown&Injected said:
OK stolen is a harsh choice of word, but now I have to buy cable, or satellite to watch MNF because ESPN is going to pay the NFL 1.1 Billion!!!!!!!

ABC was loosing money because they were paying $600 million per season. I am not against profit but this sounds damn greedy to me - it's a stinkin' ball game folks!

Need to watch it just to see who is advertising so we know who is overcharging for products.

This thread inspired by the "Don't you just hate list" thread and the American firms that sub their manufacturing to foreign nations to pay less than $1/day to the workers and ten bazillion to some chumps to say look at us, we got paid to say we like this product because we play ball games on TV

I knew one day I'd meet up with the only guy on the planet without cable or satellite. BTW, how's the pelt business?

I'm glad MNF is switching to ESPN. For one thing, I get ESPN HD on my dish. For another, ABC's coverage has been going downhill for years - hell, it had all the visual and audible excitement of a depression era soup line.

Oh, about the dollar an hour thing. My old engineering boss once told me that any job you can learn in a day or two probably shouldn't pay very much. What's wrong with these jobs going overseas? After all, it frees up the "geniuses" who previously performed these jobs here to do whatever it is they would otherwise do (like sit on a broken sofa, eat cheese puffs and fart). More importantly, Greenspan says that in large measure we have cheap foreign labor to thank for keeping domestic prices in check. Which is to say - that DVD player you bought for $89 might otherwise cost, say, $2,000.

strike

Only other guy, maybe. There's plenty for me on the broadcast channels - every time I've had access to cable I surfed as much as possible and just never saw much to attract me. Certainly not nearly enough to make me pay the $40-80/month pricing that is the minimum after Congress let the original cable authorization bill expire, which had mandated an "antenna replacement" minimal package for $8-12/month. At least, that's what it cost in south Mississippi before they dropped it.

strikeeagle said:
I knew one day I'd meet up with the only guy on the planet without cable or satellite. BTW, how's the pelt business?

I'm glad MNF is switching to ESPN. For one thing, I get ESPN HD on my dish. For another, ABC's coverage has been going downhill for years - hell, it had all the visual and audible excitement of a depression era soup line.

Oh, about the dollar an hour thing. My old engineering boss once told me that any job you can learn in a day or two probably shouldn't pay very much. What's wrong with these jobs going overseas? After all, it frees up the "geniuses" who previously performed these jobs here to do whatever it is they would otherwise do (like sit on a broken sofa, eat cheese puffs and fart). More importantly, Greenspan says that in large measure we have cheap foreign labor to thank for keeping domestic prices in check. Which is to say - that DVD player you bought for $89 might otherwise cost, say, $2,000.

strike

The pelt business!!!!!
LMAO

I know lots of people that do not have cable or satellite. They all say the same thing - don't miss it. I do miss The History Channel, TLC, Discovery, and TV Land. These are not cheap folks. I probably spend more on Prime beef for just two people every month than most pay for their TV each month.

Lots of my friends that have cable spend most of their time watching the droll junk on network TV anyway.

I am not into the boob tube like so many others seem to be, but I am impressed with the NFL programming. It is live and they seem to not have errors switching between lots of cameras and running the replays for several angles etc etc. They pull it all off without missing a beat.

I gladly spend a fair amount more on American made products when they are available but there are so many of us sitting on the sofa because there are a billion Chinese polluting the planet, as they do not to follow any proper disposal regs for industrial waste, and working for less than 50 cents per day. Well, I hope the cheap TV's keep coming because the cash flow out of the country will eventually leave us with nothing to do but sit in front of the tube.

Back