You can type here any text you want

Moonroof strength

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gmpower

Maybe a silly question, but is a factory moonroof gn just as structurally solid as a hardtop?

I have two of them and they are great.

To answer your question engineering wise I'd have to say no.

However there shouldn't be any issues because of that. :)

The A pillars crack just as easily with a hardtop from what I've seen with all the torque. :p

I have two of them and they are great.

To answer your question engineering wise I'd have to say no.

However there shouldn't be any issues because of that. :)

The A pillars crack just as easily with a hardtop from what I've seen with all the torque. :p

I would venture to say that the factory Astro roof cars are at least as strong as the hardtops. Having had mine out when repainting and reweatherstripping, I have no doubt. Unlike the hard top car, there is a rolled edge around the roof opening on Astro roof cars, making the opening stiff. The entire tray for the Astro roof cars is sort of like a girdle of sorts, as it is steel and bolts solidly to studs welded to the roof inner panel. There is no loss of structure on these cars, unlike the t-roof units where the side rails of the roof are cut through. I would not worry about structural issues with Astro roof cars. Thanks, Counterman.

I would venture to say that the factory Astro roof cars are at least as strong as the hardtops. Having had mine out when repainting and reweatherstripping, I have no doubt. Unlike the hard top car, there is a rolled edge around the roof opening on Astro roof cars, making the opening stiff. The entire tray for the Astro roof cars is sort of like a girdle of sorts, as it is steel and bolts solidly to studs welded to the roof inner panel. There is no loss of structure on these cars, unlike the t-roof units where the side rails of the roof are cut through. I would not worry about structural issues with Astro roof cars. Thanks, Counterman.
Thank you for the info:cool:

Back