Moonroof strength

gmpower

Maybe a silly question, but is a factory moonroof gn just as structurally solid as a hardtop?

I have two of them and they are great.

To answer your question engineering wise I'd have to say no.

However there shouldn't be any issues because of that. :)

The A pillars crack just as easily with a hardtop from what I've seen with all the torque. :p

I have two of them and they are great.

To answer your question engineering wise I'd have to say no.

However there shouldn't be any issues because of that. :)

The A pillars crack just as easily with a hardtop from what I've seen with all the torque. :p

I would venture to say that the factory Astro roof cars are at least as strong as the hardtops. Having had mine out when repainting and reweatherstripping, I have no doubt. Unlike the hard top car, there is a rolled edge around the roof opening on Astro roof cars, making the opening stiff. The entire tray for the Astro roof cars is sort of like a girdle of sorts, as it is steel and bolts solidly to studs welded to the roof inner panel. There is no loss of structure on these cars, unlike the t-roof units where the side rails of the roof are cut through. I would not worry about structural issues with Astro roof cars. Thanks, Counterman.

I would venture to say that the factory Astro roof cars are at least as strong as the hardtops. Having had mine out when repainting and reweatherstripping, I have no doubt. Unlike the hard top car, there is a rolled edge around the roof opening on Astro roof cars, making the opening stiff. The entire tray for the Astro roof cars is sort of like a girdle of sorts, as it is steel and bolts solidly to studs welded to the roof inner panel. There is no loss of structure on these cars, unlike the t-roof units where the side rails of the roof are cut through. I would not worry about structural issues with Astro roof cars. Thanks, Counterman.
Thank you for the info:cool: