You can type here any text you want

Morel lifters stiff preload

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbows6

I recently installed a roller camshaft with morel (pbm) hydraulic roller lifters. In the past when using flat tappets I have found it relatively easy to press the plunger down before they have been installed and had oil pressure.

I used a checker pushrod and got the correct length for .030" lifter preload and ordered the pushrods. When they arrived, I dropped them into place and noticed that I couldn't push the plunger in the lifter down by hand at all. I figured that this must be normal :confused: I bolted the rocker arms on and could tell the pushrod side of the rocker arm moved down a shade after getting to zero lash.

I haven't driven the car very much so far after finishing the install, but everything seems to be running fine. I was just wondering if everyone saw the same thing that has installed a set.

When I set my cam up I had to put 3 (or maybe 5) of the lifters in a vise and give them a good squish to unstick them and bleed them down.

I had a single one of my Morels that was also too hard to move by hand. Did what Earl did, and no problemo. Rudy.

What is the proper procedure prepping the morels for install? Do you soak them?

D

Evil, I don't know if there is a consensus on lifter prep, but I will tell you what I do. It is not unusual to find small particles of debris in lifters out of the box, as they are not always clean after the machining process. I have used light motor oil in the past, and I just did my Morels with Dexron ATF. I put the lifters to soak in the lube of choice. I then plunge the lifter with a pushrod by hand while submerged in the oil. This will flush the lifter of debris and air. You can do this for as long as you'd like until you're satisfied that the lifter is lubed up. I had only one of the Morels that could not be plunged by hand. I secured it carefully, and with a small rubber mallet, gently popped the pushrod. On the second hit, I got a spray of gunk and atf from the lifter. After that, it plunged like the rest. No doubt, it had grit preventing it from moving freely. Due to its low weight, the atf had penetrated the lifter just by soaking it. The light rapping with the mallet caused the Dexron and whatever trash was in the lifter to come out. The lifters will prime better on the stand if they have oil of some kind in them. The lube will be replaced by engine oil as the pump builds pressure and the motor is spun over. Rudy.

If you are getting that kinda crud out of them i would take them apart and clean them

Thanks Rudy, that makes sence.

Turbo Nasty, I have taken a lifter apart before and it wasn't that hard. I read once that allot of lifters come with debris inside and should all be taken apart and cleaned.

One time, at band camp, I called Crane Cams for something and when i mentioned that i had soaked my lifters for a few days the Tech freaked. "YOU DID WHAT?" "NO NO don't do that"

Needless to say i was confused at that point. Since i'm getting some morrell rollers i figured i'd ask again since i've always heard about soaking them.

I wonder why he would say that? He went as far as telling me to drain them.

D

Back