Motor Rotates, but will not start

Saladin45

There is a darkside
Just attempted to start the car up today. It didn't start.

There was an attempt to by the motor, but then it just kinda dies out. At first I thought it was the battery. Went and got the battery checked. It's good. Put in another battery from another car I have that fits perfectly, etc. It doesn't work either.

So I figure, 'Maybe it's the fuel tank is empty or something'. So I add some fuel. No go after attempting to start.

Granted, my engine rotates, but it just won't start.

So. I come to you with the question...

What should I do next? And does anybody got an idea on what the heck is going on with my motor?

Fuses?
ECM plug at the batt + cable area, plugged in?
Fuel pump priming when key is turned to on?
Fuel pressure?
Maybe a little info on the car, the engine, the history??
What scan tools do you have?
Gauges?

mine did the same thing. turned out to be the fuel pump. put a guage on it and see if builds pressure when you turn the key on.

Gah.

I thought I had it fixed.

Attempted to turn it on today. No go.

The motor was said to have been rebuilt a couple of years ago. I'm not sure to the extent of the quality was it rebuilt, however, I am certain that the motor runs and drives.

Basically, let me lay it out for you guys.

The motor has in the past, run and driven. As I explained earlier, I had it running on Monday after I thought I had fixed it by tightening the spark plugs.

One thing that I have noticed is that it has an odd idle. It will change pitches, and the engine rocks side to side inside the engine bay. That of which I think is caused by an oxygen sensor. Any guesses though?

So basically, I've had a couple of people brainstorming with me.

Someone has said that I need to replace the spark plugs. Another said that it could be the air filter which is, being so old as it is, it could have alot of dirt, etc, that could be causing it not to start. Which would explain why it attempts to, but doesn't fire up totally.

Any idea's? Please help!

How about following up on the ideas already suggested??
From the looks of that engine compartment, it could be a bunch of items needing "TLC".

I agree 100% with Chuck. You need to go back to basics and do the essentials before trying to troubleshoot this problem over a keyboard.

New plugs
wires
fuel filter
air filter

The list goes on and on. Pretty much a good tuneup and THEN let us know the symptoms so we can start helping.

An old mechanic once said that he fixed more broken carburators by changing the sparkplugs than he did by changing carburators. REad it twice..makes sense.

Alright. I'll get back to you guys once I do those things. Will be purchasing the list this weekend...

KISS guys. Any one else been in service? Keep it simple stupid!! Does it have spark? y? n? Do the plugs have fuel smell? y? n? The three things an engine needs to run are: spark: fuel: air. does it have all three?

I have spark. I have fuel. The air. That's what I think is up.

The air filter may need replacing. Who knows the last time it was cleaned/replaced.

you will always have air in doesnt matter how much at this point to get it started it does crank correct? if so do you know you have fuel by a gauge or are you just guessing? does fuel psi come up on the gauge and stay or does it fall to 0? did by any chance the ecm orange wire come unplugged or mabe bad? as stated above for now kiss start with a tune and go from their plugs wires filter

To check for air take the inlet hose off the engine and put your hand over it while someone else cranks it. Do you have constant suction? If not do you have a suck then blow condition?

I'll have to check to see if I have the suction or not. I haven't really gotten a chance to take a look. Cold weather and all.

Going to go do so this week. Will get the results. Hopefully I can get this thing alive again...

You say when it does run it idles bad and the engine rocks side to side. You might check to see if the spark plug wires are going to the right cylinders.

Right, but when I put the car in drive, the engine settles out and runs fine. (When it ran, that is)