You can type here any text you want

motors

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

qws2000

I have a quick questions (a few) what is the difference between a stroker motor and a stage motor? How much HP can you get from the stroker? The last question is what is the going rate on a stroker? I might have the chance of grabing a stroker, but I just rebuilt my motor this season, really just want to know if it is worth it... thanks in advance........

A "Stage" block is a racing block and can be stroked up or down to change displacement. The block has extra holes for extra head bolts it it;'s a Stage II but either Stage block is a heavier casting.

A stroker increases displacement of the original and the more displacement the more power/torque you have. Overall power will depend on the way you build it and the parts you choose for it. Biggest thing about a "stroked" engine is the extra stroke will change the torque curve more thean the HP numbers.

A "Stage" block is a racing block and can be stroked up or down to change displacement. The block has extra holes for extra head bolts it it;'s a Stage II but either Stage block is a heavier casting.

A stroker increases displacement of the original and the more displacement the more power/torque you have. Overall power will depend on the way you build it and the parts you choose for it. Biggest thing about a "stroked" engine is the extra stroke will change the torque curve more thean the HP numbers.

How much of a hp/tq increase would you see from a stroked motor vs stock stroke, providing parts (heads/turbo/etc) and boost level are the same?

Are there any dyno graphs comparing the 2 motors (stroker vs stock stroke) hp/tq curves?

How much of a hp/tq increase would you see from a stroked motor vs stock stroke, providing parts (heads/turbo/etc) and boost level are the same?

Are there any dyno graphs comparing the 2 motors (stroker vs stock stroke) hp/tq curves?
You're asking a hypothetical question here. Just going from the stock 2 barrel carb on an NA 3.8 to the factory 4.1 intake on a 3.8 bumps the HP up about 25 so you end up with between 135 and 140. The factory 4.1 was rated about 155 and all the differences was is a larger bore but the rest was the same. Without knowing what parts are installed it's a duck shoot even trying to guess what the numbers would be.

As Charlie said, it'd be a crap shoot trying to figure numbers based soley on increased stroke.

But....

It's always been a general rule of thumb that increasing stroke will add torque, but also reduce available red line rpm.

You're asking a hypothetical question here. Just going from the stock 2 barrel carb on an NA 3.8 to the factory 4.1 intake on a 3.8 bumps the HP up about 25 so you end up with between 135 and 140. The factory 4.1 was rated about 155 and all the differences was is a larger bore but the rest was the same. Without knowing what parts are installed it's a duck shoot even trying to guess what the numbers would be.

Assuming the LC2 builds are identical (cam/turbo/boost/heads/bolt ons/etc), where the only difference is the stroke (231ci vs 250ci), what is the gain?

Yes you get more hp/torque, but HOW MUCH more form the extra 19 or so cubic inches?

Reason asking is I see guys spending a few k on parts/labor for a stroker, but no one says how much power (hp/tq) they have gained.

Any data on this?

No one that I know of has compared the 2 different versions because if you build a stroker you start from scratch. Everything is different from cam selection to turbo you pick. The reason is because of the way the engine behaves with the intake and exhaust charges.

Easiest way I can explain it is to have 2 identical mowers but one has a 3 HP engine and the other has a 5.5 HP engine. Both will do the same job but the one with the more HP/torque will cut the grass a little easier.

The difference is marginal. Not worth worring about. The cu in gain is small (not like going from a 455 to a 528).

My stage motor first had a stock stroke crank 3.400" . When i rebuilt it i went with a 3.625" stroke crank. Same cam, same turbo, better heads, went from a stock intake to the new at the time champion intake, also went from 62 mm throttle body to a 70mm. Also bored it out from 3.875" bore to 3.900" bore. Made exactley 0 difference in et. 9.40 . Gained 20 cubic inches and made the same horse power. The turbo only makes so much air no matter how big the engine is.

My stage motor first had a stock stroke crank 3.400" . When i rebuilt it i went with a 3.625" stroke crank. Same cam, same turbo, better heads, went from a stock intake to the new at the time champion intake, also went from 62 mm throttle body to a 70mm. Also bored it out from 3.875" bore to 3.900" bore. Made exactley 0 difference in et. 9.40 . Gained 20 cubic inches and made the same horse power. The turbo only makes so much air no matter how big the engine is.

That is more is less, the info I was looking for.

We are all parts the same in both builds, except what was mentioned above, including tune and boost level to achieve the 9.40?

Boost level for 9.27 run vs 9.40?

Yes same parts. Both combos maxed out. The 9.27 was with a little more fine tuning and a little weight taken out.

If you start from scratch (I know you're not) the cost is the same. Forged stroker kits are the same price as a forged stock stroke kit. The only difference in price is having the block clearenced for it. ($200 extra) Like mentioned before the cam selection will be a little different due to the added ci. I went stroker strictly for the BLING status and to be able to say mine is bigger than yours.:D

At WOT on an all out race motor, there shouldn't be much difference. However on the street wouldn't the stroker provide better performance?

Oddly i didn't notice any difference on the street between stock stroke or the 3.625 in the stage motor. Both combos were with the same 236 - 236 solid roller. The TSM combo in my signature with a 3.400" stroke crank made alot more low end on the street than the stage motor. I ran a 218-224 solid roller in it. I think the cam selection is alot more important for low end power that a small increase in the stroke. But as pointed out it's the same money when you have to buy all the parts from scratch.

Back