You can type here any text you want

Moving the sound stage to the front

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

hemi8

Goin Sideways
I have replaced all the factory speakers with Infinity Kappas and the rears are 6x9s. I have 1 Sony 50 x 4 amp and an mid-grade JVC head unit. I have the dash and door speakers wired together going to the amp and the 6x9s going to the other channel on the amp. The 6x9s overpower the front speakers so my sound stage is behind me. Because of the way it is wired the fade is inop. I want to change my system to:
- Move the sound stage to the front
- Install 2, 12 in subwoofers behind the rear seat and eliminate the 6 x 9s.
- Install an additional amp to power the subs.
Is this a sound move to have a loud clear rock music system? I do not care about anyone else hearing the system, just want tight loud rock music. I wish I could replicate what I have in my BMW, it has a perfect sound system.
Will I need a crossover and equalizer? I want to keep it as simple and as bolt-in as possible.
Mike

OK, what I have done should fit the same goal you are after. All I have for a system is 6.5" Focals mids in the doors, put the tweets on the dash firing straight up, 2 10" W3's in a sealed box in the trunk, a 1.2 farad cap and an old school TI-475 Phoenix Gold amp. The head unit is an Alpine competition deck which means no internal amp to run speakers. That is it, nothing fancy (not cheap though). It is silly loud and silly clear. Everything is up front and it sounds almost like you are standing in front of the band. I do not listen to hip hop or other junk but mostly Hair Band rock and some country. It is awesome. IMO you don't need anything in the back; the sound gets confusing. Oh yea, TONS (almost literally) of dynomat so the car doesn't rattle.

Rear sound stages for rock music don't bother me much, I just think I'm at Woodstock turned around listening to The Who or The Offspring and watching some hot chicks mudwrestling.

Then I realize I'm driving to work and get back in a lane on the highway. :eek: :biggrin:

There's not that much of a natural soundstage with a lot of rock that isn't studio synthesized or effects etc.

I'd worry about it a LOT more if you were an orchestra afficianado.

But if you want to change what you have or if adding subs. is gonna affect the rear sound etc. I would definately make sure you have balance and fader control of some type.

Just an opinion. :)

The Focals didn't really mount in the doors but more like on them. I had an extra set of lower door panels so I removed the carpet from them and then built a fiberglass enclosure for each mid. Then a beauty panel was made for the area where the carpet was removed. Finally, I had the whole thing covered in black leather. It looks really sharp. I will see if I can post some pics.

Remove the 6x9's and you have instant front stage.:tongue:

I removed the "rear fill" speakers from my GN years ago. Prior to disassembling the car, I had a 6 1/2 mid-bass in the doors (in Audiowizard built panels), a 4" midrange in the dash, a tweeter on the front edge of the doors and a ported 12 in the trunk. It smoked local contest, but I didn't build the car with the intention of competing in contest, just for me to have a very nice system to listen to.

The next system will be a step up, but still without the intention of competing. I'll have Hybrid Audio L8 mid-bass in a custom door panel, a Hybrid Audio L4 midrange in custom kicks and a Hybrid Audio L1 Pro tweeter in a custom A-pillar. The sub stage is still unknown at this point.
John

I agree, no rear fill is needed, just concentrate on the front. Listen to 6Appeal, his car is SO sick, and has made a name in IASCA w/ his car as a hard guy to beat w/ a very simple set up.

I agree, no rear fill is needed, just concentrate on the front. Listen to 6Appeal, his car is SO sick, and has made a name in IASCA w/ his car as a hard guy to beat w/ a very simple set up.

Wrong John:tongue: (though he does have a 6APPEAL tag on the front;) , which I've kidded him about:D ), but I agree that grocerygetter's car is very nice. Saw and heard his car at Scrapin the Coast in 08. That's what really turned me on to Hybrid Audio. Link to his GN on Hybrid's site.
John

I plan to disconnect the 6x9's and use the Sony 50 x 4 amp to power the door and dash speakers. If I could purchase door panels for 6.5" speakers I would. I have amp outputs on the head unit for a subwoofer so to give the system some bang for hard rock I need to pick a mid-priced sub and amp. I am thinking 1 12" subwoofer in a sealed box behind the back seat. What would be a good solid sub and amp that will give soild trouble-free sound.
Mike

Back