You can type here any text you want

msd

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
Glad to see MSD's working on it. I just got my distributor for mine today. :D Hey, it's an MSD billet distributor, anyway. ;)

I located two cars here in town to test the MSD DIS-4 unit on. One car was a Buick T-Type that I found out already had a DIS-4 installed on it over two years ago without any problems. The second car was a 1996 Buick GN which we got in here on Wednesday and did the install. One of our Engineers tested the stock ignition system on the car with an oscilloscope before we started the install. We installed a newer DIS-4 unit, PN 6215, an Interface Module, PN 8878, and a set of MSD Super Conductor Spark Plug Wires, PN 31869. The Engineer again probed the car to check the trigger signals. We then installed a much older DIS-4 unit and he probed the car again to check the trigger signals. The car has several performance mods done to it including a cam, alcohol injection, Corvette MAF, 12psi boost, etc. and ran flawless with the DIS-4 installed on the stock ignition system. We also have another Buick GN in town that we did an install on in 1999 with a stock ignition system that has not had any problems. We know we have a compatibility problem with the FAST system and have forwarded all of our oscilloscope graphs to them. Another manager here is in touch with them and FAST is now scheduling a meeting to discuss our findings.

Spike Clapper
Customer Service Manager
MSD Ignition

My Digital 6 didnt work for $hit on my car with the FAST system, it would miss,pop and bang but not all the time. I put the 7al2 back in it and problems are solved. I put the D6 box in a Mustang, it performed flawlessly with the stock type ignition.

Spike did you try a H/O box and have you found anyone with the fast on the car to do the same test? that sounds like what needs to be done.

Bill thanks for the help on the phone I have made three passes so far and man the car runs so much better and cranks better and Idles a lot better. I just want to make a couple more pass before I say that the thing is fixed.

Spike,
We appreciate the update, But I have several questions. If the problem is with the FAST then why is it that in most FAST equipped Buicks the problem is intermittent? Wouldnt it just not work the right 1st time? Some spend and buy a second box and that works correctly for a while, but later starts acting up again?Why do some boxes work beter than others?

My box worked flawlessly for several track outings and then began to act up. No changes in anything, just time?My MSD box has been in my car for 10 months and not worked for 7.

Just seeking answers...;)

went to the track last night and met a new buick owner. He was haveing some poping going on down track so I went over to meat him and see what he had. Wow a real nice car stage 2 champ. head, 75lbs, and a f.a.s.t. system. It was a new combo to him and did have a handle on it yet, so I help as much as I could but I didn't have my car or trailer so we had no tools. Then I saw the DIS4 H/O box. we tried to make another pass steal the same thing, so I asked him if he had the bypass plug but he didnt know what I was talking about so we could not try and run it with out the box. then he tried to start the car and make a nother pass and guess what it would not start.

Another here in NC
richie

Richie,

It appears that the "problem" MSD boxes are:

1.) the HO units

2.) being used with F.A.S.T. ECMs.

From your experience & observation,

would you say that's essentially correct?

TIA!!

Hartline had a plain MSD box stop working all together. Mine is a HO that wont start the car. Woodys i believe is a plain Box and he had a no start issue with no FAST. I dont think the plain or high output is much of a difference but I have noticed the HO bad more than the others. If so lets start converting them!
:D

Originally posted by Louie L.

I have noticed the HO bad more than the others.

Same here, Louie...that, + using a F.A.S.T. ECM.

Hopefully, with major thanks to Richie & Spike, these "mysteries" are now on their way to being pinpointed and solved. :)

I'm not saying that it is only the H/O because on mine both have missed up, but I did have a reg. DIS work fine for a long time but never have had a H/O work right on my car. It looks like more HO are having problems but I think it might be because it came out later and more people stepping up to try and help there car and have bought the HO box.
I'm sure spike and craig and lance will find out what the deal is. I know that I ran a Dis4 for almost 4 years with the FAST and never had a problem.

I have changed my car and have some passes under my belt and it looks like I wish I would have done this a long time ago. Going to test it this coming weekend one more time before the next race and I will know how much if any it helped.

Maybe the HO box which has more output than the std DIS 4 is causing an EFI interference with the Fast computer. Maybe check all the electrical wires on both units and see if their near or cross each other. I know on a crank trigger set up you cannot have any power lines near or crosss the triggers wires or you will have misfires..Just something to look for...Im running an HO box and stock ECM with no problems yet although no very long...

The miss problem is showing up in higher RPM cars - 6200 rpm plus. The FAST box is a/the? common factor. The digital boxes deal with simple on/off - ie. 0's and 1's in the box's logic. If interference puts something in the line that looks like an 0 or a 1 to the MSD it's going to throw everything out of whack.

I had problems with 2 regular boxes. FWIW I'm using the stock ignition alone to 7400 and not having a problem. I was really looking for the 2 step option. I still haven't taken mine out to send it back yet.

Paul

Nice to see so many sharing to solve this problem. I, for one have just stepped back from using the box, the stock ignition works too good to mess with it. I have no problem pulling rpm's and burning fuel. I have pulled as high as 7800 rpm wwith no problem. What I wanted to MSD box for was the 2 step.
1. the problem is definitely affecting the standard box (6215), my unit and several that I sold, all had the same problems

2. the studder problem occurrs above 6100-6200 rpm. If you are testing out stock motored cars that only pull 6000 rpm, the problem will not show up.

Im with you. The 2 step was the main reason of buying one. Oh and it was cool looking red !:rolleyes: ;)

Originally posted by 10SV6

The FAST box is a/the? common factor.

The digital boxes deal with simple on/off - ie. 0's and 1's in the box's logic.

If interference puts something in the line that looks like an 0 or a 1 to the MSD it's going to throw everything out

Sure looks that way on many. Thanks, Paul.

Has anyone had these misfires on our cars without an aftermarket ECM? I shift mine between 6400-6500 rpm.

Dad started having trouble with his car (274" stageII turing 6700rpm) not
wanting to RPM, earlier this summer. He is running a stock computer with a
translater +. After checking and changing alot of different things, we went
back to the stock coilpak (I wanted to do it sooner, but Dad didn't want to give
up the rev limit features). It seems to have fixed the reving problem. Will
know for sure when we go to the track Sat. He has the standard MSD unit.

OOPS!:o What I meant was, not an HO (DIS 4) unit. It was getting late and I
think my brain was shutting down.;)

Back