Mustang/GN tag team on NSX (long)

boostin

Last week as I was driving to school in my Stang I saw this SWEET competition orange '67 Mustang with duals and the I6 badging - ? so I came up beside him and revved. Now, my Mustang is quite possibly one of the loudest things you will ever hear, no joke. So this guy revs back and at the next light he floors it and does an awesome, albeit one wheel, burnout - no brakes! We talked, he said he has a 351 in there. nice. Anyway, a third first gen Stang got close, this one a '65-'66 fastback with side exhaust and what looked like Yokohama A032Rs. The orange mustang went straight but the fastback (raven black) followed me towards the freeway. As it turns out, we were both going to the same school, so I talked to him for a bit. He had a 500hp 289 crate engine :eek: it sounded quiet! real lopey idle though.

So this Sunday, I see the fastback at a light with an early red NSX. I think it was early - pillars not painted body color? I have the GN, because I was going to an Eagle Court of Honor for a friend of mine - a special occasion, so I got to use the GN. I came up behind the fastback and heard revving from the NSX. An asian kid in his 20s. He didn't know what he was up against, I guess. The Stang owner just sat there and, when the light went green, pulled away right alongside the NSX, although it sounded like the NSX was balls to the wall. I kept right up with the fastback, then he shifted and got about 5-10 feet of rubber, then he was gone. I couldn't keep up, but managed to pass the NSX with relative ease. At the next light, we all got in separate lanes. The NSX guy was looking rather confused. He said something like "There must be something wrong with my car, its an NSX!" I said, nope, your car is pretty strong. My friend in the Stang piped up and said, "Well, maybe you'll have us on top end." The NSX guy said "yeah your cars aren't very aerodynamic". My friend looked at me and rolled his eyes. So we all agreed to meet at 11pm for a freeway bout. I managed to get the GN again, and we met at an offramp. The asian guy said "100 bucks says I get to 150 first". I said "Only been there once and don't care to do it again, I'll just hang back, plus my speedo only goes to 85 and makes a funny noise". Jimmy, the fastback guy, said, "you're on". So we went about 30 miles north to a truck route (long, straight, deserted stretch) and started at 50. I just stuck behind the NSX. The fastback pulled away from the start and left the NSX about 10 lengths behind by the time he backed off. I couldn't keep up with the NSX after a point, but it was obvious who won. The NSX guy was cool and handed Jimmy the 100, and said that we were both welcome to go to his import club meetings. Don't know if I will but if he is a representation of the club members, the club sounds cool.

Originally posted by boostin
I have the GN, because I was going to an Eagle Court of Honor for a friend of mine - a special occasion, so I got to use the GN

im an Eagle Scout....

Originally posted by boostin
The NSX guy was cool and handed Jimmy the 100, and said that we were both welcome to go to his import club meetings. Don't know if I will but if he is a representation of the club members, the club sounds cool.

You should go. Maybe you'll have better luck than I did when I went to a local car club meeting. Everybody was afraid of the Dark Side. I came with $200 and left with $200.

I was soooo close to Eagle, I had all my Merrit Badges but didnt have enough time on the project. I'm happy with Life Scout. Did either of you guys go to the 97 National Jamboree? Either of you guys collect any Council strips?

Yeah, I do. I also have OA order patches. The ones from Alaska glow in the dark (thats where I live in the summer).

Sounds like alot of fun. Wish I could get a race around here. I don't eve have a TR/GN(yet....) I guess something about a monte SS with a hood soop and twin 3" tail pipes.

I never got the ole' Eagle either. I was a life scout and OA though and worked on quite a few eagle porjects.

Yeah, but you have fuel injection, lol

I wanted to get Eagle out of the way early and I thought I did it fast - 4 years from arrow of light to eagle - my friend did it in 2.5. 'course I had 45 merit badges by the time I got eagle and he only has 26 or so, but...damn...

Tucson is good for street racing...