My dilemma (sort of long, scroll down for cliff notes haha)

tj1986c

School Boy
Okay guys here is my dilemma. I am 21 and go to college and I finally got enough money to purchase a car. Ever since I got into cars my favorites have been intercooled Turbo Regals and LS1 powered Trans Ams and Camaros (six speeds). Now that I am so close to purchasing a car I don't know which one to choose. I know that only I can decide what is best for me but you all may be able to make my decision easier. Can anyone help me with my decision? I am trying to look at all aspects like insurance, reliability, maintenance, dependability, response to mods, and overall value. I really don't want a car that will break down every other week. Being an older car I know that a GN might have problems if it wasn't probably taken care of but that could go for any car, new or old am I right? I have turned to you guys because I trust your knowledge and experience and I am pretty sure that most of you have been involved with cars for far way longer than I have. I know that this is a Buick website and some of your opinions will be biased, but please give me your honest thoughts and opinions or tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes. :)

Cliff Notes: Which should I get, a Buick Grand National or an LS1 Trans Am.

Thanks

TJ

From an insurance standpoint the Buick wins. Reliability is almost a toss up, the Buick can be a good daily car,but without knowing the service history you could be opnening up a can of worms (pretty much the case for any older car though). A syock or even lightly modded Buick will still get slightly better than an LS1 car (mid to low 20's if you drive it easy). But a Z or Firebird will probably have more of a "sports car" feel. Only real knock I have against the F-Body is that they are not designed for full sized arthritics like me.

Need more info, for example. Are you handy with tools, and handy working on cars? If not, you may not be happy with the Turbo Regal (even though it'll kick the LS1's butt 9 ways to sunday). There are no dealerships available to help tune or repair these cars anylonger. It falls upon the owner to take care of most if not all tuning and repairs, unless you have good buddies near that are familiar with them.
Not knowing about your automotive background would lead me to recommend you seriously look at something other than a T/R.
You'll be missing a ton of fun, but you'll also be missing many of the headaches that accompany these "moody" cars.
I've been having fun with mine for 21 years now, and it's been interesting!!

Need more info, for example. Are you handy with tools, and handy working on cars? If not, you may not be happy with the Turbo Regal (even though it'll kick the LS1's butt 9 ways to sunday). There are no dealerships available to help tune or repair these cars anylonger. It falls upon the owner to take care of most if not all tuning and repairs, unless you have good buddies near that are familiar with them.
Not knowing about your automotive background would lead me to recommend you seriously look at something other than a T/R.

I consider myself pretty handy with tools and I help my friends work on their cars all the time. Even though I am no professional I would say that I am pretty decent. Thanks for the replies. Please keep them coming.

Okay guys here is my dilemma. I am 21 and go to college and I finally got enough money to purchase a car. Ever since I got into cars my favorites have been intercooled Turbo Regals and LS1 powered Trans Ams and Camaros (six speeds). Now that I am so close to purchasing a car I don't know which one to choose. I know that only I can decide what is best for me but you all may be able to make my decision easier. Can anyone help me with my decision? I am trying to look at all aspects like insurance, reliability, maintenance, dependability, response to mods, and overall value. I really don't want a car that will break down every other week. Being an older car I know that a GN might have problems if it wasn't probably taken care of but that could go for any car, new or old am I right? I have turned to you guys because I trust your knowledge and experience and I am pretty sure that most of you have been involved with cars for far way longer than I have. I know that this is a Buick website and some of your opinions will be biased, but please give me your honest thoughts and opinions or tell me what you would do if you were in my shoes. :)

Cliff Notes: Which should I get, a Buick Grand National or an LS1 Trans Am.

Thanks

TJ

I currently own both, and for your situation, the LS1 Trans Am would be my choice. Turbo Regals are best to own when you have a garage, an extra car, and don;t mind having to turn the occasional wrench. Don't get me wrong, they can be reliable, but they are white knucklers in the rain, lord help you in the snow/ice, they do require some tinkering on and diagnostic skills (all turbo cars do), and should generally be considered as your fun car, i.e; secondary vehicle.

I do plan on daily driving my soon to be 11 second T 144 miles daily in the good weather though. But with the Trans Am, you simply get in, turn the key, and go. But if you start modding it, it's like any other car, you'll chase codes every now and again and have to tinker with it too.

I was never a big F-body fan, but I sure am loving my new Barney mobile, they drive really nice, and it turns heads galore, it gets a little too much attention actually.

frontside1.jpg

frontengine1.jpg

As someone that has owned both I can tell you they are so totally different it comes down to which one will you smile at more sitting in your driveway.

F-bodies still carry a higher insurance premium. The LS1 is crammed into the engine compartment making it difficult to do work yourself or have it done cheaply. To me, a six-speed is a drivers car, not a race car. People will most likely disagree with me on that point but to me, nothing shifts faster than liquid. A higher stalled auto is the way to go for me when it comes to racing a car.

Anyways, a Buick still has a menacing look to it and you dont see a dozen of them on the road every day. Its also VERY rare to see a turbo Buick on the road in the winter while I still see f-bodies year round.

If you plan on modding the motor both will cost you plenty depending on what you want to do. A rebuild will cost about the same on either car. The plus side to having an f-body is that there are a million of them around so parts are pretty easy to come by. You could also find a higher mileage LS1 for less than a higher mileage LC2.

To make a GN handle like a TA you will need to do some suspension mods. I prefer the way the GN rides and drives. It may not corner the best but I built and am building my GN to go fast in a straight line as I am not a fan of road racing so cornering doesnt matter much to me.

The ride is higher in the GN, you feel like your sitting on the ground in a TA. You get more looks and thumbs up in a GN but if its girlies you want to impress then get a slow import and save some money.

Ultimately this is your decision and nobody can make it for you. Just sit back for a minute and look at these cars, the one your drawn to more will most likely be the one you hit autotrader to find.

This is not my TA but I figured I would put a black car to a black car.

TAramair.jpg

This IS my GN though. :D

GN13.jpg

Hope this helps.

Also going with the TR you would need to keep your eye on it all the time.:frown:
It will also hurt your social life a little bit at your age in regards to driving out places with your buddys leaving the car outside at night at girlfriends etc.. My first GN was stolen. Then I bought another in 97 drove that everyday till 2005. It ran low 11's. Car has 150,000 miles on it. But I have replaced everything so it's basically brand new again. What I'm saying is, It would be stressful driving the Buick everyday but you'd being king of the road. lol ;)
Hope I didn't scare you. :redface:

My car
Tech.jpg

Your question is kinda open ended for interpretation. The questions I have is how much do you want to spend? These cars if still in good condition with matching vin#'s are an investment, and in most cases will retain their value/go up in value more than T/A's or Camaro's of the same era. With any performance car the more mods you do the less reliable it will become, that being said the TR's can be made outrageously fast with relatively minor modifications. Guy's have gone into the high 11's with close to stock TR's. I've owned 4 TR's over the years, my first one was a daily driver. I did mods to get that car into the 12's, and drove it everyday without issues. I hope that helps you out....

I currently own both, and for your situation, the LS1 Trans Am would be my choice. Turbo Regals are best to own when you have a garage, an extra car, and don;t mind having to turn the occasional wrench. Don't get me wrong, they can be reliable, but they are white knucklers in the rain, lord help you in the snow/ice, they do require some tinkering on and diagnostic skills (all turbo cars do), and should generally be considered as your fun car, i.e; secondary vehicle.

Project TNX, I see what you are getting at. I would be pretty messed up if it broke down since I don't have another car for a daily driver. I definately don't have a garage to work on it in either. If you have anymore thoughts please do keep them coming. Oh and by the way, that is one beautiful TA you picked up!!

As someone that has owned both I can tell you they are so totally different it comes down to which one will you smile at more sitting in your driveway.

F-bodies still carry a higher insurance premium. The LS1 is crammed into the engine compartment making it difficult to do work yourself or have it done cheaply. To me, a six-speed is a drivers car, not a race car. People will most likely disagree with me on that point but to me, nothing shifts faster than liquid. A higher stalled auto is the way to go for me when it comes to racing a car.

Anyways, a Buick still has a menacing look to it and you dont see a dozen of them on the road every day. Its also VERY rare to see a turbo Buick on the road in the winter while I still see f-bodies year round.

If you plan on modding the motor both will cost you plenty depending on what you want to do. A rebuild will cost about the same on either car. The plus side to having an f-body is that there are a million of them around so parts are pretty easy to come by. You could also find a higher mileage LS1 for less than a higher mileage LC2.

To make a GN handle like a TA you will need to do some suspension mods. I prefer the way the GN rides and drives. It may not corner the best but I built and am building my GN to go fast in a straight line as I am not a fan of road racing so cornering doesnt matter much to me.

The ride is higher in the GN, you feel like your sitting on the ground in a TA. You get more looks and thumbs up in a GN but if its girlies you want to impress then get a slow import and save some money.

Ultimately this is your decision and nobody can make it for you. Just sit back for a minute and look at these cars, the one your drawn to more will most likely be the one you hit autotrader to find.

Yeah I know insurance for an f body could be a pain. But I guess you are right about parts being easier to find for them. Then again, that is why I am interested in a GN. I've only seen like two or three of them in my town and they are pretty original and rare cars so I would feel unique. Hardly anyone I talk to about cars even knows what a Grand National is. It's all about tuners, stangs, and donks where I live. Besides, I would rather not get any girls than drive an import (or would I):tongue: Oh, as far being drawn to the cars in the pictures, they both look cool and they both look like beast driving down the street, which another reason I can't decide. Hearing a cammed Trans Am with true duals brings a smile to my face but seeing a GN gives me the chills, especially when I hear the turbo spooling down the street:biggrin: !!

Yeah I know insurance for an f body could be a pain. But I guess you are right about parts being easier to find for them. Then again, that is why I am interested in a GN. I've only seen like two or three of them in my town and they are pretty original and rare cars so I would feel unique. Hardly anyone I talk to about cars even knows what a Grand National is. It's all about tuners, stangs, and donks where I live. Besides, I would rather not get any girls than drive an import (or would I):tongue: Oh, as far being drawn to the cars in the pictures, they both look cool and they both look like beast driving down the street, which another reason I can't decide. Hearing a cammed Trans Am with true duals brings a smile to my face but seeing a GN gives me the chills, especially when I hear the turbo spooling down the street:biggrin: !!

The LS1 will put you in your seat and hold you there, but the LC2 will do it while making the hair on your arm stand up. ;)

Have you driven either? I have been a 4th gen f-body board member for years and have read those guys trash the cars ride for years, but these cars ride nice, at least mine does. Doesn't handle as well as my TT Stealth did, but I like it a lot better.

As far as insurance, I'm 32 with a clean record, the Trans Am costs me $89 every 6 months more than my 2000 Chevy Tracker did, but it may cost you substancially more. And if you do get a GN, get it appraised, otherwise an insurance company may try to d**k you around in the worst case scenario.

You are 21 and in college, go for the lady killer, the Trans Am. :cool: There are plenty of us keeping the Turbo Buicks in pristine condition so you can buy one later. :D

i would go with a Trans-am for a daily driver, being that the parts on a GN are 21 years old and have parts that are prone to going bad, ask me i know.LOL Get something newer for a daily driver! I guess i couldn't drive one though all the time because my knees touch the dash when i'm driving lol

,Dan

Finish college, get a good job and THEN buy either car. Wouldn't want either car as a daily driver as I would be too stressed out leaving it sitting in a parking lot and wondering if it would still be there when coming out of classes.

Buy a good cheap reliable car and put the rest towards your dream car when you can afford to keep it in a garage.

Probably not what you want to hear.:rolleyes:

Don't want to be a buzz kill, but Mark has a good point. Put your money in realestate and drive a clunker for a while,in the long run the chicks will dig you more when they find out your not in debt and you have a home instead of renting. I wish I had long time ago instead of all the crap I bought. If it's your main car it's going to take more daily wear and tear than a secondary toy car.
Turbo neons are fast as hell and respond to upgrades well. They don't draw too much attention and they get decent gas mileage. That's not at all what your wanting to hear, I'm an old man now. Sorry:rolleyes:

I guess I see where you guys are coming from. If you have anything else or any more advice to give please do. And sverble, about that real estate comment earlier, are you involved in real estate? I always wanted to know how to get involved in that.

I guess I see where you guys are coming from. If you have anything else or any more advice to give please do. And sverble, about that real estate comment earlier, are you involved in real estate? I always wanted to know how to get involved in that.

No, unfortunately I'm not a home owner, but a renter. I've talked to a lender last week and Sunday i'm going to look at a few properties. Not how I wanted to spend Sunday, but I have to stop paying rent. I've been at the same apartment downtown Nashville for 7 years. I really like the location, but my rent just increasd to $1225!!! a month so it's time to buy something and grow up.:( Oh well, maybe I'll find a place with a garage, it would be cool to have my ride at my place instead of leaving it at my parents house.
Good luck with your hunt...as long as you finish college your doing the right thing.:)

Thanks for helping me with my decision guys. You are right, I can wait till after graduation to get a GN. It is not my time to own one yet. Hopefully I won't get raped when it comes to the price a few years from now:p . I will either get a Trans Am or just find a beater to run around in. I will keep you informed on my decision and I really appreciate everyone's input.

Thanks

TJ