You can type here any text you want

My Weight Savings List

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
i can tell you a lot of what you have is incorrect ,copied from old incorrect info

Are these items that you have done one at a time and weighed before and after?

I figured some might be a bit off. Its hard to get exact unless you go piece by piece. the battery depends what you already have and other items were copied and pasted. I called Jeg's and got the tire and wheel weights. the hood weight came from Hartline and the trunk lid info came from Kirban's website along with the aluminum bumper brackets. I personally weighed the spare tire, jack and tire iron and can't imagine that some of these other items are that off.

My aluminum heads were only 14lbs lighter than the original.
my whole AC system was 37lbs
my battery is 7lbs
I would scrap this list (Thread) and go weigh some stuff for yourself, then repost your findings to stop the mis-information.

The list below are some ways you can do to remove some un-needed weight. Yes, this has been discussed before but this list is more complete than many I have seen. Let the diet begin...Here it goes:.......................

I know this is a smart-ass response, but we are here to also have fun, so don't be offended!

I would re-name the list "How to screw up a nice street GN, and build a half-ass race car"!

You would have the worst of both worlds, a car not street-able, and a race car not legal?

The lack of street comfort is obvious.

For a race car you need to add 200-300#'s for a full cage and other items for reinforcement and safety, not to mention a few $1000 in other parts and labor.

Been there, done that a few times, and thanks for your effort!

Here's a link to one thread we've tried to update as we've reduced weight:
http://turbobuick.com/threads/weight-reduction-list.105295/

Really need to make a spreadsheet of all the stuff in a nice neat list. A lot of this stuff we removed was measured on a large electronic scale and backed up with car weights on the scale at our local track.

For example, the last thing I did was a tubular driveshaft loop. Saved 2lbs over my old one.

I estimate my car should weigh around 3070 lbs right now with me in it. I have a full chromoly roll cage too. So if there's weight to be lost, its probably been done already. There's more weight that can be taken out, but some I don't want to do that take away too much from the stock look and others are more race oriented.

my battery is 7lbs
I would scrap this list (Thread) and go weigh some stuff for yourself, then repost your findings to stop the mis-information.

Please weigh your battery. The average weight is between 35-45lbs. No way is it 7lbs.

Li batteries are light.. expensive but light and 7lbs is a big Li battery

i run an AGM deka etx30L that weighs 21lbs , an optima can be almost 50

I just bought this. Weighs in at 17lbs.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 128
my battery is 7lbs
those wights your tossing may apply to a TA but the op im sure meant from a turbo regal different heads ..different AC
i can assure you a TR a/c system is not 37lb its more like 65

those wights your tossing may apply to a TA but the op im sure meant from a turbo regal different heads ..different AC
i can assure you a TR a/c system is not 37lb its more like 65

Thank you for calling out the people who try to rain on others parade. Different vehicles and I also said including all lines and heater box. I deleted the post as It's not worth arguing and defending myself. I'll just keep to myself and not bother posting anymore unless necessary. People on here will never agree and love to bash.

I know this is a smart-ass response, but we are here to also have fun, so don't be offended!

I would re-name the list "How to screw up a nice street GN, and build a half-ass race car"!

You would have the worst of both worlds, a car not street-able, and a race car not legal?

The lack of street comfort is obvious.

For a race car you need to add 200-300#'s for a full cage and other items for reinforcement and safety, not to mention a few $1000 in other parts and labor.

Been there, done that a few times, and thanks for your effort!

Nick,

No offense taken. As a matter of fact I would never remove the a/c or crash bars in the doors on my car. Just wanted to list some items and weight savings.

most of what murphster has posted was from figures i gave him weighing his parts and the replacements as we made his car lighter and my cars lighter if i pulled something off or swapped parts i weighed the parts on my 500lb digital freight scale ( 0.1 lb increments)
if he wondered about doing something i have nearly every part accessible to throw on the scale and see if its worth doing
ive put complete engines on it
then we take the cars to the track scale and verify after several changes ..
i scribble weights all over the garage cabinets and notepads.. he keeps the list with him on a spreadsheet

I did a little search and found this.
http://www.vortexbuicks-etc.com/Weights.htm
Take it for what its worth, but I suggest you weigh your own parts.
BTW, I have GN style heads and our ac systems are very close in weight. But like the article states, different people have different weights.
I have a notebook full of weighed parts too....weighed by me.

Back