You can type here any text you want

Mysterious GTA Rim Damage

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1KWIKSIX

Can anyone explain why this may have happened?

One would think that a substantial impact would be req'd to cause this.
However, we just noticed it last night on the car. A friend pointed it out.

No recollection of hitting anything or driving over any pot holes etc. No evidence of impact on tire or wheel well etc.

Looks like the aluminum shoulder just literally split!

Any thoughts? I guess I was lucky that I wasn't at speed on the highway when this happened to let go?

Should I get the other 3 wheels checked out ie x-ray'd or magnafluxed to check for weaknesses? These are 22 yr old wheels afterall.

If anyone has an extra front offset 16" x8" GTA Rim for sale....let me know pls.

Maybe I should just replace this with a brand new one......as I dont' think it would be fea$ible to repair it. I see Classics Industries has them for $199.

Anyone use their wheels before?

dave

Attachments

• Damaged GTA Rims 001.jpg
    Damaged GTA Rims 001.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 214
  • Damaged GTA Rims 003.jpg
    Damaged GTA Rims 003.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Damaged GTA Rims 004.jpg
    Damaged GTA Rims 004.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 208
Could have had a hairline crack for years, finally a decent impact caused that. :(

I had a set of Prime lightweights do that exact same thing. I was going down the highway both times. It's a stress fracture that finally let go. Talk about having a pucker factor at 70 mph. Felt the truck shift slightly and I hit the brakes to pull over. Got lucky it only did it one at a time.

I"ve had the classic industries wheels for about 15 years and I'm very happy with them. The only problem is that their wheels have the dimples along the painted edge that the later GTA wheels had that yours do not. Most people wouldn't notice at a glance, but if your as anal as I am you won't like it.

Damaged

That wheel may have had am impact at one time and developed a stress crack. With time and wear it may have decided to appear. You could always have it reshelled with a new one from True Wheel designs.

Back