You can type here any text you want

NA exhaust

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

CTX-SLPR

Howdy,

I'm going to be running my V6 NA mode for a bit while I bring my EFI tuning skills up to the task of a turbo motor. Since the engine will be in a car that it won't remain in when it goes turbo I've been thinking about exhaust for it since I'm going to have to redo it for the later manifolds atleast or possibly headers I want to attempt to maximize the torque and usefulness of the exhaust. What do ya'll think
Headers or "tall port" manifolds
Single or true dual
X-pipe, H-pipe, or just pipe
Pipe size, 2in??

Thanks,

I did a true duel 'H' system with 2-1/4" pipes and Pacesetter headers. If it's for a short haul I would'nt recommend it because it's a lot of work. Lots of fabrication and modifications.

Headers bolt on easy but to duel it out the crossmember has to be modified. They do sell an after-market crossmember but it's too expensive in my opinion.

The rest is just a matter of bending, cutting along with tweaking brackets not to allow banging up against the frame or anywere else going over potholes and speed-bumps.

It did wake up the engine a lot but if I had to do it again I'd use 2" pipes. That set-up consisted of Pacesetter headers, Summit collectors and 2-1/4" aluminum pipe, some Flowmasters and a Jegs universal bung for the O2, (had to drill and weld it onto the passenger's side header).

It worked out great. But since I'm going turbo I removed that set-up and replaced it with a hybrid cat-back system. I re-attached the OEM exhaust manifolds and used a 1984 Olds 442 aluminum 'Y' pipe along with Ultra turbo mufflers and the 442 tailpipes. A straight pipe replaced the catalytic converter, (my state no longer requires cats on older vehicles).

There was no loss in power but it got a whole lot quieter and less cumbersome. :cool:

Well crossmember stuff isn't really a problem since I'm going to have to fab up one for the AX-15 or T5 transmission I'm going to use. You think the Y-pipe with 2 1/4in single pipe is just as good as a pair of 2in and an X?

Yes I do. But I've never tried an 'x' set-up, mine was an 'H' true duel. My point is that the extra work seems unnecessary. And in my case it was. The Buick Pacesetter headers and collectors were 2" and I though 2-1/4 would be better....I was wrong. 2" would of been just fine.

The 'Y' pipe set-up I have is easier and does not require extensive fabrication. The end result is the same in terms of HP. But less work.

Because the 'Y' pipe set-up is 2-1/4 oem....I went with it. No regrets though.

All turbo Buicks and N/A applications would improve significantly with a 'Y' cat-back. It's cheaper, easier to install and delivers.

Hopefully passing on my experiance helps others avoid the school of hard knocks and scrapped knuckles. Good luck! :smile:

I have a custom hardly used like new true dual system i spent about $1000. on with headman headers, 2 new cats, 2 brand new flowmaster mufflers, tailpipes-complete ,i think i even have a dual crossover bar i would throw in-looking for $400. or trade for parts. this system worked and sounded great-it was all custom hand bend on the car in a custom muffler shop. Matt 347-680-8642. the pipes are still like new-the headers could use another high temp coating.

I don't own the car yet, its reserved till I can managed to sell my 97 Regal, so I'm not buying any parts that won't work elsewhere. Are you wanting $1400 shipped for the whole thing?

All i wanted was $400. plus shipped or would try to deliver part way in person.

Oh... now that's more my price range, I was going to say that I'm only paying $1500 for the car, a $1400 exhauste system seamd a bit rediculous. I thought the $400 was for the muffler only which was also a bit high I thought. I'll let you know when I've got the car.

Back