You can type here any text you want

NA gas tank /TR gas tank?

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

nicky6

Dad: Leave the car alone!
Is there a difference in the whole tank or just the sender unit and pump? anyone know

The turbo tank also has baffles inside to prevent the pump from getting uncovered during "heavy excelleration."

The TR sending unit also has provisions for the electric fuel pump and NA doesn't. You can use a TR tank and sending unit for a NA if you switch the pump over to one from a TBI application(about 15 PSI compared to 60+PSI), but than you would have to run relays and a power wire to it.

Eric Fisher

Would you be able to modify a n/a tank to work (i.e. add the baffles, etc.)? Something I have wondered about, myself.

Originally posted by turbofish38
to one from a TBI application(about 15 PSI compared to 60+PSI)
Eric Fisher

I didn't realize the TBI pumps where only 15 psi. Did the fuel flow in one direction, or did it have a return loop like the SFI? This sounds like an easy way to switch from a mechanical pump to electric. I would just need a regulator to step down the pressure to ~6 psi.

Turbofish38
What do you have for the 82 regel with the 455 as far as fuel pump,regulator,carb and tank. Do you have a return line? Do you have and electric pump or mechanical?

Hi Guys, Rich,the TBI pumps are just like the SFI and use a return line to control some of the pressure. They make great pumps for use on carbs if a regulator is used inline. Also if you can find a fuel pump catalog GM has some lower pressure pumps they used for some carb applications(70's Skyhawk and Monzas come to mind). Right now I have my 82 Regal plumbed with the fuel lines from a 86-87 TR. This car is still in the construction phase and for now I am running a Q-jet but in the future I plan on running EFI hence the SFI turbo lines. All I did to hook up the carb to the EFI lines is to use some factory pressure hoses from a 3rd gen Camaro with the PFI V-6 and cut the fuel rail side off and clamp the hoses to a Stage 1 fuel pump. I am running a NA sending unit in the tank.

Eric

Back