nasty miss

zslave

I picked up a nasty miss on my 87, changed plugs and wires was no help. All injecters show good, no engine light. the miss is idle and under throttle. My mechanic said it could need the lifters adjusted? They make very little noise. Any ideas on a fix would be greatly appreciated. 54,000 miles close to stock. thanks:smile:

Need more info. Is it a dead miss like one cylinder isn't firing or is it a rough idle and rough under load? Do you have a scan tool? Any visible smoke from tail pipe? What mods? What chip?

It is a dead cyl, at least it seems like it, even on the road. No smoke, no funny noises other than the miss or course. Coils ohm at 11.3 11.4 11.1. New plugs and wires since problem started, few mods, casper 7 position chip set on #2 stock, kenne bell ram air, adj. fuel pressure regulator set to 40 psi, and as I was told typhoon injectors. No can tool here but I had it on a pro scan yesterday and everything was OK, no codes or obivous issues.

Take the top of the cam sensor off, and make sure the phillips screw holding the reluctor is down tight. Also, if it runs fine when cold, but starts to miss as it warms up, it may be the ignition module....

miss

i agree with s.calgn ........ check out the cam sensor. it can sometimes be mistaken for valvetrain noise. might be worthwhile to check out your crank sensor also to see if it has somehow become misaligned.
bw jones

it is missing with a little tick that sounded like a rocker but I think I am listening too carefully because it is running wrong.

If you have a mechanic's stethoscope, use it to listen to the cam sensor.

Better yet, pull the top of the cam sensor off, and check to see if the screw has backed out.....been there, done that!

Also, pull the valve covers and do a visual check of the valvetrain and pushrods. Check the crank sensor, and change out the coil pack and ignition module with a known good unit.

I'll do the compression check this weekend and post my results. I really appreciate all the help guys. I do how to fix my cars but this one is really messing with me. I am in Omaha, Nebraska.

It could be possible that a cam lobe went flat.. It could also be the crank sensor touching the balancer ring too.. My car developed a miss that i couldnt seem to track down until i looked a the crank sensor. It was loose and it would touch the metal ring on the crank pulley.

Good luck and let us know what you find.

When I pour gas directly into the carborator it runs beautiful until the fuel runs out. Then it turns off. Could it be the that the gas is old from sitting around for too long?

I've been really busy, I'll let you all know what I find as soon as I ccan. Thanks!!

I ran out of time, it is at the shop. They think it could be the regulater vacuum harness. It is ordered and should be here Monday.

I ran out of time, it is at the shop. They think it could be the regulater vacuum harness. It is ordered and should be here Monday.

Is that the same as a flux capacitor? Before you hand over a dime, you want to make sure that the guy working on your car isn't just changing parts because he's clueless- parts you're paying for.