necessary mods for 11's on pump gas????

Blazer406

Mechanical Engineer
I am considering selling my low 13 sec daily driver s-10 blazer and making the plunge to the 89TTA. http://home.jam.rr.com/bdykes/drag.html
I have driven a 24K mile car a few years ago and raced it even at the local track. (I was in my Blazer) With 24K mile stock (read very worn (hard) out and dry rotted) gatorbacks, this stock beast went mid 13's (with a sucky 2.2 something 60 ft.) on a 95 deg day. I was impressed to say the least. I did beat it, but not by much. I have wanted one ever since I drove it. My question is what types of bolt on's can you put on it to make it dip into the 11's on pump gas without any fear of hurting the engine? I don't want to modify the car such that I cannot return it back to 100% showroom stock condition.

Here are some of the mods I am considering:
An ATR complete exhaust system from downpipe back.
A TA-49 turbo (what boost level is doable on pump gas?)
bigger injectors (what size do you recommend?)
A reprogrammed chip (any recommendations?)
Another set of rear wheels with MT ET streets
And a precision industries 9 1/2" lock up converter.

I want a car that you could drive to the track (on the ET streets)(one track is about 100 miles away) run some 11's and cut the A/C on and drive home.......:cool:

Is this too much to ask?

Any input is appreciated

Blazer406

If you have email, I'd suggest subscribing to the TTA list - here's the procedure:
Send an email to tta-list-subscribe@89tta.net

In the email body type:

subscribe tta-list your name

Obviously replace "your name" above with your first and last name.

You will get a confirmation email saying you have successfully
subscribed to the list.

The address to post to the list is tta-list@89tta.net

Any questions, problems, etc can be sent to me - 89turbota@89tta.net

Having said that, 11's on pump gas is obtainable, the key word is safely and some people want "no" stress on the motor. That becomes a little tougher :)

Also - pump gas is NOT 91 octance :)

Most the GNTTYPE homepage "recipies" apply to a TTA, so you might want to wander over there and read them if you never have.
http://www.gnttype.org

Your first steps on the TTA are like the TR's: aftermarket boost guage, scan tool, hot-wired and upgraded fuel pump (eg Walbro), adjustable fuel pressure regulator, fuel pressure guage. Now you can tune..

Next stop - increase the air input with a K&N if it still has the stock air intake.

Definitely get a RJC airflow plate for the upper plenum.

Exhaust is a good thing to do; not quite sure if the TTA exhaust is as restrictive as the TR's, but the TR's stock exhaust is terrible!
If you were racing-only, you could cheat and get a downpipe with a cutout.

The TA-49 is a great turbo but will be pushing it to get into the 11's. You would probably be better off with one of the newer PTE-51 and higher models. The advantage of the TA-49 is you can still run the stock torque converter and get excellent spool-up. The 9.5 Vigilante (assuming multi disc for 11's) is gonna cost you a few bucks ($1K). I would consult with one the major Buick vendors about a TC/Turbo combo. A ball-bearing turbo is another consideration, albeit more expensive.

Consider a Bruce Toelle (Performance Tranmissions) 9/11 converter instead of the Precision or if you can live without lockup, one from "the real" Art Carr.

Sometimes you can optimize your short term costs. For example, you could get the TA-49 (or even PTE-51) and keep the stock TC and use the $1k for an extended or front mount intercooler. The '51 is a little slow spooling with a stock TC but is not bad.

For injectors, I'd go straight to MSD-50's and get a chip by Joe Lubrant or Jay Carter. There are several other people with good chips especially if you have the TranslatorPlus and LT1 maf (Bob Bailey thru Ramchargers??)

A 3" downpipe is a semi-controversial thing on the TTA list, but long-term it's better than stock.

Of course after that, there's no limit. Ported heads would sure help. If you do change the TC, you could really go to a bigger turbo and still be within the MSD-50's range.

Finally, there are quite a few people that will say to run safely in the 11's on pump gas, run alcohol injection. Many have done it and there are some excellent kits available (Steve Chulpsa comes to mind).

That's a start... I know I missed some stuff for being early in the morning :)

Pumpgas and Turbobuick powered cars = No No No No No No No

Running 11s are a breeze if you'll run pumpgas, if you must run 11s on racegas you will spend seriously 4X what it would cost you to do it on racegas.

Basically build a High 10 second car on racegas and it will probably go 11s on low boost and crappy gas with a killer 60ft.

Aw come on Mikey - give the guy your 11's for $1K recipie.

you did it! we know you did!

I didnt do it on pumpgas thats for sure!

My car drinks nothing but 110 octane :)

Actually, when my car was running 11.40s I made a run with a testa street chip and 94 octane pumpgas running on the ragged edge with 19-20psi and I did go 11.95@113 with a 1.62 but I wouldnt want to keeop running it like that.