You can type here any text you want

Need a new radiator

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

jdanna

So my radiator sprung a leak - and i want to replace it with a new aluminum one.

I'm debating between the alradco black powder coat one and the GN1 performance (which is a lot cheaper)

My big question is - I *just* bought the Gbodyparts dual fan kit that fits in the end cap channels - will those fans fit either aluminum radiators, or should i be looking for an OEM replacement?

Fit depends on your intercooler location, if have front mount, might have fit problem, you can ask GN1 about your fit, I just bought one, it was just sprayed with special heat dispersant paint..

6-25-12 (2).JPG

Enjoy!

Intercooler is stock - im just worried about the width being right since the fan shroud squeezes into the rails on the endcaps of the radiator

Intercooler is stock - im just worried about the width being right since the fan shroud squeezes into the rails on the endcaps of the radiator

Tell GN1 about your fan,they'll tell you if there Rad. will fit.

Enjoy!

Peter's a member of the board and a vendor here. GN1 isn't. I agree saving money is a good thing but if you've got an issue with the unit you can PM Peter on here 24/7 and he will respond and help you out. I doubt you'll get that kind of service from GN1.;)

hello; There are a few nice alum. rads out there. If your worried about fit with the fans look into getting yours redone. I've heard a few good stories but I found out it's not cheep to do. I'd look into it and make your decision then.
IBBY

I have a GN1 Extreme and yes it cools great. But.....it developed a leak on the core right where the fins go to the side in a littel over a year. I sealed it with epoxy. Granted it was 2 small leaks.

I called and spoke to GN1...cant remember his name..........and he said send it back and we will see what you have and go from there. Never could get a firm answer on replace/repair from him and when I got the quote for shipping for that big sucker....... I fixed it myself.

Id go for the alradco.

You think its possible to seal one of the tubes with epoxy?
basically i was drilling the plastic fan shroud and my hand slipped and i tapped the radiator and bam, leak.

I know - boneheaded as hell. Is it worth trying to squirt a bunch of epoxy in there, or should i just get a new radiator?

if i do - i decided im going for the black alradco - i cant stand the idea of looking thru the beautiful black grill and seeing shiny aluminum.

You won't see the radiator from the front, the A/C covers it up. At least I never noticed it from my GN. I ran the big aluminum radiator from gbodyparts in my GN with the stock cooler lines in it. It was a nice piece much like the Alradco one. On my T I went the cheap route and since I run no oil cooler and just an external trans cooler, I got the fbody radiator for $78 locally on a manager's sale one day. Both radiators cool the cars well. I'm sure the cheap fbody one from china won't last as long as the american built aluminum one.

You think its possible to seal one of the tubes with epoxy?
basically i was drilling the plastic fan shroud and my hand slipped and i tapped the radiator and bam, leak.

I know - boneheaded as hell. Is it worth trying to squirt a bunch of epoxy in there, or should i just get a new radiator?

if i do - i decided im going for the black alradco - i cant stand the idea of looking thru the beautiful black grill and seeing shiny aluminum.

Stock radiator can be soldered...take it to a shop

If i'm gonna pull the radiator to fix it - i may as well upgrade it to one that cools better.
I've been wanting to for awhile, i just didn't want to have to do it this soon.

New alradco radiator is on order.

When I install this thing, how much should i top off my trans fluid to make up for the stuff that was in the old trans cooler?
Or Should i just drain and change it? - im not sure what type of fluid is in it right now, ive read its ok to mix compatible ATF fluids - but ive never done it.

You should not lose very much trans fluid at all. When you take the old radiator out, you will need to remove the trans lines from the front of the old radiator and put them on your new Alradco unit. The oil cooler lines are easy, take them off to get the old radiator out, put them back on in the same spot with the new radiator.

The Alradco radiator fits just fine. I installed one last week.

Two things:

A set of line wrenches will be very helpful in getting the trans lines off and back on.

Don't be afraid to tighten the oil and trans lines going into and out of the radiator. Check for leaks once you get it running.

Line wrenches are a very good idea - but i dont have any.
Do you remember if its metric or SAE? Im gonna order some. Always need more tools.

Back