You can type here any text you want

need chip info

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

87gn/92ty

I have just purchased the 87 GN in my sig. I do not know what chip is in it but the guy I bought it from said it was like 5 years old. My question is, are there better chips now than 5 years ago, and should I have a custom chip burned based on the mods in sig., and if so could this help my 1/4 mile times??

Any help/thoughts or advise will be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike

probably not. our chips are pretty basic, its not like chips for new cars that completely change how it runs. what you could do is get a chip for what ever kind of gas you plan on running. get one for our 91 pump gas, and another for race fuel if you end up running any. i dont' remember if you have alochol or not, but if you do then your probably not gonig to need another chip.

timming is really the only thing that changes to give you more power. theres a bunch of little stuff but its nothing thats going to be different because your chip is 5 years old.

look on the chip, usually they'll put a few numbers on it. timming and such. put them up here and get some more ideas.

dennis,

got the motor all torn down, head gasket looked like a rabid dog chewed it up. Got the cometics to replace and put back togther and run er.

Mike

good, i got my tranny all back together, but while i was under the car i noticed some coolant on the block. so i either have a head gasket ready to pop, or hopefully a freeze plug leaking.

you don't have a translator do you? i have an extender chip for 50# injectors, but if you don't the the translator its uselessfor you.

If it is a Kenne-Belle chip you may want to chunk it.
It is good to have a chip that is made for the mods you have, so if the chip was custom made for the turbo and injectors you currently have, then your probably ok.
Without the Trans+ w/Extender chip, WOT fueling, or PE fueling would have to be adjusted also for the additional air the bigger turbos flow and would have to have a chip for different boost levels...in other words, you couldn't take a street chip for 93 octance and 17# of boost and put C116 fuel in it and crank the boost up to 25# or you will be extremely lean at those boost levels.
Timing and WOT fueling are the main things tweaked in chips, there are other drivability factors such as idle, torque convertor lock/unlock, AE fueling... things that are nice to have also.
And of course injector size constant.
MAF tables can be tweaked as well to keep the magic 128 BLMs at different rpms/loads.

Back