You can type here any text you want

Need help ASAP!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

turbov6joe

Signal 1 J-12
A while back I printed off a post by tta1456 on how to jumper the fan relays causing both to run together when the switch was thrown. Evidently the printer did not print in enough clarity the wires I need to jumper, and the text does not tell ya. I've found the wires behind the battery leading to the relays, and have removed the spilt loom, now I need to know what ones I jumper. Can anyone tell me or send me the link to this tech article??? TIA

I'm going to try to post a link to the thread .Pin f on both relays is the ground wire that will turn the fans on when they are grounded.So if your going to put them on a seperate switch you would run a wire from a switch to the green wires that are connected to the f pins of the relays.These wires are taped up from the factory in the harness.you Will run the other wire from the switch to ground so when you flip the switch it will turn both fans on.Or just connect both relays togetherat pin f and when one is on so is the other.Sounds complicated but really isn't.Good luck!:D

Wes,
Thanks for the info, I appreciate you getting back with me. However, I managed to figure it out by trial and error; wasn't too hard. I did notice thought, when I turn the car off, the 10 minute fan runs to cool things down. It must be that the high temp realy is tripped by the switch. No biggie there, I kinda like the idea of the extra cooling when I shut'er down after a pass at the track. That was prolly the best little mod I've done yet, too bad I waited untill fall to do it! I sure could have used this feature this past summer!! Anyhow, thanks again....

The delay relay should only kick the fans on after shutdown if the engine temp at shutoff is 226F or greater. The delay relay is triggered by a thermal switch on the intake manifold. If your fans are running after you shut the car off, and it's not 226F or hotter (I certainly hope it's not!) You have a problem. It could really only be one of two things.

1. The coolant temp switch (the one on the intake manifold near the fuel pressure regulator) is stuck closed. Check continuity between the terminal on the switch and a ground, if it's closed and the temp is below 226F the switch is stuck.

2. Your delay relay is messed up. A common problem, they're not sealed from moisture like the actual fan relays so they flake out from time to time.

What I did on my car was run a jumper between terminal F on each relay, that way both fans always turn on simultaneously, no matter if the A/C, ECM, or CTS switches them on. I put a switch in my jumper wire so I could revert to OEM fan operation by turning the switch off.

You can also run a wire from terminal F on each relay to ground and put a switch in line so you can work the fan(s) manually. I didn't do this, I just wanted the ECM to turn on both fans at the chip's 175F set point. The ECM only switches on the D/S fan at the chip set point, and on hot days the single fan didn't do that great of a job.

The little writeup on my webpage is HERE.

Actually your info is what I followed to do the mod. I ran a switch from the solid green wire's union point, to the green w/ yellow striped wires's union point. One way the fan works as normal, the other is turns on both when the ECM commands it. Everything seems to work fine...turns on and off at the preset temps of 165º and 160º respectively. The only difference is that, when the switch is in the 2 fan mode, the 10 minute fan runs when I turn the car off. Flip the switch to 1 fan and it does not do it??? Maybe the coolant temp sensor on the maifold is bad like you mentioned??? Actually, I kinda like the extra cooldown after I make a pass, so I might leave it as is for now.

Something must be wacky with your car... when I had the extra switch on my car the 10 minute delay never turned on. The extra cooldown after shutdown is actually kind of nice, I had considered putting a manual switch on the coolant temp switch so I could have the fans on 10 minutes after shutdown... especially helpful after a pass at the strip! No worries about walking away and leaving your fan on either, it'll shut itself off.

Hey Wes..time to update that sig huh...You were much faster than that at Bristol..hehe

I'll email ya some stuff tomorrow

Julio

Thanks Julio, Been real busy but here it is. 12.14@113 Best short time 1.600 on wore out BFG's.Shooting for 11's .This was done with stock downpipe open dump,stock turbo,stock intercooler,24# boost,110 unical.Hope your trip was good back home.Tell the Jersey crew I said hey! :D

You are the man on those BFG's..if I could only :)

BTW,
Teusday nite I hit 11.80 at 113.7 with a 1.60 short time too..heres a link to the DS run..

http://www.bmcomputersource.com/dscollection.html

Actually did three 11 sec passes on 93 oct..with a little help

Ohh..I just bought a set of BFG's tonight..thanks to you
:D

Back