Need help setting timing on TFI Mustang with FAST ...

Jeff S

I just installed a FAST TFI bank to bank setup on a 93 Cobra.

I've set the spark table to 35* everywhere, set the crank reference angle at 10* and made sure the idle spark trim is set to 0. If I rev the motor up to 3000+ the FAST dashboard shows 35* steady for the timing and I can adjust the distributor to match the 35* with a timing light no problem.

My problem is that if I let off the throttle to let it idle the timing light then shows the timing jumping around from 0-20* and the FAST dashboard shows the timing varying from 28-42.

Am I doing anything wrong???

Well... if the map was set to 35 deg all around... It should never say anything other than 35- except it could vary at idle if the idle stabilizing timing trim is enabled, and if the idle params are set right such that it knows it's idling... Sounds like that's happening on yours.

And, 35 deg is likely too much timing for it at idle, and probably even too much for even just an na 4v mod motor at 3000 rpm, for anything other than the lightest load that is. I assume you no longer have EGR working on it. Certainly wayyy too much timing for a boosted mill under load. That will kill it pdq.

TurboTR

The car is a 5.0 with a YSI blower that runs c16 at all times. I only used 35* to set the timing and it definitely idles best with 35*. WOT timing is 25* peak torque.