You can type here any text you want

need help spooling up

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Otto J

this may hae been talked about before but what are people doing to help aid turbo spoolup on a GN with FAST
what is your air fuel ratio while spooling? how about timing while spooling?
thanks for the help
Otto

When boost comes up i got it 12.9 at 119 kpa. Next line is 158 kpa with 12 to 1 and its like this all the way up
I can travel like this with more MPG but when the boost comes i entry the gates of hell ;) aint allwheel smoking beautifull ?
For faster spool up i added like 3-6 *of timing right before the P trim start produsing happiness
I can sent my file to you.cant say its perfect but i got less than 2% corrections:D

Don't know if this'll help ya but on my SBC T72 motor, when i retard the timing a bunch in the midrange, it helps spool up dramatically. When i have the midrange timing at 36 or so, i don't see any boost until about 3800, but when i take it down to 22 or so, i see it starting about 1000 rpm sooner. And when i'm sitting still and i bring the rpms up on the torque converter (i can go about 3000), with the timing at 36, i can't make any boost, but when i highlight the cell it's on, and change it to 22 or so, boost shoots up to about 5 lbs. Theory is, that more fuel is burning in the headers....which brings more heat....which speeds up the exhaust gas...which brings boost in faster. That's how i see it. Maybe it'll help?

ya if you could email me you program so i can see it
thanks Otto

Timing/fuel

We have a 86 Camaro with a 3.8L Engine/2004R trans.
.72mm turbo front mount GN1 heads stock rods/crank JE's
218 cam stock headers...

We found that 24-28deg of timing where 80% of the pass is made in the upper cells under full boost between 4600-6200rpm.
21lbs boost 10.92@122

We increased the timing from 20deg to 30 deg starting just after spooling up to 4500rpm and I think it can have more! Just that lowerd our 60'time from 1.54 to 1.49 off the foot brake w/6lbs of boost.

I think we spool up with 36deg of timing it comes on so fast that
we can't start spooling till the tree starts coming down.

I'll double check that cell where we spool up on the line.
Just what we've found through playing a little bit.. still alot more left to do... When's that FAST event....;)

Sounds like you need Dual Mapping...Run one MAP to bring up the boost, when you leave the line, switch to your standard MAP....Gen VII will do that, and then some....

What exactly would be the actual advantages of dual mapping? Sounds like a crutch for not being able to tune the base map properly.

The most common trick I see is to yank all the timing out while spooling. Burns the fuel in the pipe, quickly raises EGTs, heat in the exhaust is supposed to help spool up... as mentioned in previous post. Many of the fastest turbo cars in the country do it this way. This isn't necessarily going to be the best way for you, but it's worth investigating. Seems to work well for a lot of people.

now when you say alll the timing/ go as far as 0 degrees?
i know all car are different just wondering
Thanks Otto

around 10 degrees or so is what I've seen a lot. on big HP cars it's the scariest $#!+ you'll ever hear.

Less timing...

I remember talking about dropping the timing down but is that mainly on larger CID motors?
Ours seems to like more timing down low to bring up the engine RPM quickly (to get spooling started) or are we just seeing the rpm's jump up because it makes the motor come alive more down low and not the boost like your talking about?
Or maby we don't have enough lag to worry about it with the turbo/setup we are using.
Thanks for your input... ~Scott

Back