You can type here any text you want

need help with sub/amp and ohms????

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fireberd350

i have a infinity 1220w subwoofer that is 4 ohm....i have a kicker ix252 amp that is also 4 ohm but when bridged mono it is 2 ohm....what will happen if i do this?

i think i may have blown it by hooking it up bridged...it is an eBay item that looked brand new but i never tested it....now it only works if i push on the center of the cone....i probably blew it

is there any way to make this work? can i just hook up one channel? i am going to order another infinity 1220w b/c th opening in my box is custom for that sub...unless anyone else knows of any subs w/ a 12.125 outer ring?

anyways can anyone explain the hom thing and if theres a way to make it work?> thanks, steve

An amp doesn't "become" 2 ohm, The load is presented to the amp and it responds. A 2 ohm stereo stable amp is usually 4 ohm stable in mono.
If the amp is 4 ohm stable mono and you sub is 4 ohm, you were fine.
My guess is you had the gain to high, clipped the output section of the amp and toasted the woofer. If the woofer works when you push on the cone, your voice coil is fried....time for a different woofer.

not to sound like a fool but heres the specs of:

KICKER IX252
Frequency response 20-20,000 Hz
Stereo, bridged mono, or Tri-way output
60 watts x 1 in bridged mode
25 watts x 2 at 4 ohms
30 watts x 2 at 2 ohms
Rquires 10-gauge power and ground leads — wiring and hardware not included with amplifier
0-18 dB bass boost centered at 40 Hz
0-12 dB treble boost centered at 18,000 Hz
MOSFET power supply
18 dB/octave crossover switchable at 70 or 110 Hz
Dmensions: 6-5/16"W x 2-1/2"H x 9-1/2"D

INFINITY 1220W
Power Handling, RMS:300W
Power Handling, Peak:1200W
Frequency Response (±3dB):22Hz - 800Hz
11.9mm X-max
Sensitivity:92dB
Mounting Depth:6-1/8"
Impedance:4 Ohms
Recommended enclosure 1.25cu.ft (35.4L)

will this work togehter? if not I guess i can look for a different sub

Just wire the amp in mono and it will be fine.

That is mighty small amp to run what appears to a hefty speaker.I am not familiar with either product--just looking at the specs of them.

Geoff

Back