You can type here any text you want

Need info on how to fix my wheels??

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

gn_steve

boosted canadian
Hi there guys and gals

Been looking around this forum to look for a tread for polishing my wheels myself but fell short!

Here is my problem i have a nice set of 16'' gta wheels but the polished part is stainded or oxidized and i would like to know what to use and technic to get the wheels flawless and i also have a set of weld draglite that have the same problem!

I will post pics of my wheels to show you what i am tryieng to fix!
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1381841258.253478.jpg
ImageUploadedByTurboBuick Mobile1381841268.819250.jpg

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

What i am trying to fix are the litle white spots in the close up picture any ideas i tried mother polish but white spots still there???

Do you know if there is any type of coating on these wheels?

If there is those white spots could be the coating wearing thin hence the spots. If there is no coating and you're working with aluminum then use and angle grinder with a 4" buff wheel with some tripoly compound. You can get this kit at any hardware store. I used to use this method all the time on my valve covers and aluminum slot rims when I had them on the car. They will look like chrome when you're done.

The tripoly compound kit will have maybe 2 or 3 different compounds. Start with course and work your way to the finer compound. Then when you wash the rims never let water dry on them, especially if you have hard water where you live. Trying to polish stubborn spots or stains of a rim by hand is tough. Get an air powered angle grinder and the buff wheel. Works like a charm.

More than likely there is clear coat on your rims and the wheels need to be stripped of the clear coat. Using a metal polish on clear coated wheels is also harmful, as you should treat clear coat wheels as you would paint on your car.

I am in the process of doing this to my GNX style rims.

You will need Aircraft stripper to remove the clear coat.

From there, there is 3 different routes you can take.

1. Depending on the condition of the aluminum you can start with a 600 grit wet sand and work your way up to 1200/1500 grit. From there you can use cutting metal polish to a polishing metal polish. From there they should be pretty shinny but if you want to go the extra mile you can use the ultra fine metal polish. You can do this all by hand or use a power cone attached on a drill.

2. If the aluminum is in great condition, you can skip the wet sand and go straight to using metal polish.

3. Best option would be to use an angle grinder as mentioned above as this will give you the best shine and almost chrome/mirror like.

Here's a how to on polishing all types of Metal.
http://www.autogeek.net/metal-polishing-how-to.html

Here's a how to on polishing bare aluminum wheels.
http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clean-aluminum-wheels.html

Here's a how to on polishing clear coated wheels.
http://www.autogeek.net/how-to-clean-clear-coat-wheels.html

Here's a very basic video on using Aircraft stripper on clear coat.

Here's a video on polishing aluminum to a mirror finish with an angle grinder. Those crazy truckers and their rigs! :)

Also, in the articles above there's a how to on figuring out if you have clear coat or bare aluming rims.
One thing I forgot to mention is you can put sealent or wax on bare aluminum after you polish them to lock in all your hard work.

It looks like water spots that have dried on the rim (I do my own polishing). Either he washed car when rims were hot or they dried before he could wipe them off. He could have sprayed sprayed a wheel cleaner on and it dried before he was able to rinse and dry them off.My front wheels sat in my basement after getting a smaller tire put on. I had a hell of a time getting the soapy water marks dried on my aluminum Tork Thrust ll .You can use a rubbing compound then a simichrome type polish(aluminum cleaner) and a lot of elbow grease. The easier way would be a wheel polishing ball on a drill,but you still have to start with an aggressive cutter like compound first or sand the wheel with 2000 grit wet sandpaper and water then polish. You shouldnt use the same cloth or polishing ball for different compounds and you should wash off the wheel before changing compounds or polish. An old sock works great because you can get into the places a ball cant.Compounds and polishes all dry out your hands,throw away gloves would be a good Idea. There is no easy way to get those marks out ,unless you take it to a chrome shop or have someone else do it for you.Im pretty sure theres no clear coat on the rim. One way to tell is take a compound or cleaner polish on a rag and rub a little spot if the rag is black its bare aluminum.I used a an aluminum cleaner from big lots and it worked better than the expensive stuff.

Looks to me they are clear coated. Many of the white spots look as though there is corrosion starting near the center. I went through this with my wife's Jeep that she never washes. Had to strip the clear coat. If you strip them I recommend re-coating them after you get them polished up. If not keep a good wax or some sort of protectant on the bare aluminum to prevent corrosion.

Back