You can type here any text you want

Need opinions ons Red Line Synthetic oil and gear oil

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

cottonpicker14

I know that Mobil 1 is very popular, but was wondering if anyone is using Red Line synthetic (not their racing formula) 10w30 AND Red Line's gear oil for the rearend. Also, would it hurt to use the GM posi additive if using synthectic gear oil ?
Tried to do a search using Red Line as the key words, but getting an error and no results.

I am using it in both my cars, in the crank case and rear end. I have seen tests were it was used in a 96 Impala SS with the LT1. It was run in the crank case, transmission and rear end. They picked up 9 hp on rear wheel dyno. Then the engine was drained and Mobil 1 was used. Placed back on the dyno the improvement dropped to 6 hp. Now the price diference may not be worth it.

The big reason I use it is my cars are not driven much and I needed an oil that can handle the seasonality changes and would not break down. I chnage my oil out every 2 years.

- Dave

OK! I'll give you my opinion. If yer using a synthetic, yer wasting yer money! Use a good quality HD 10W30 or just a 30 weight oil and change it regularly. You'll be dollars a head. Remmeber, the W stands for winter so if you live in the southen half of the country a multigrade oil is not needed. This oil was developed for regions where it gets below freezing, Texas ain't one of them states. :cool:

89ICBM said:
Rememeber, the W stands for winter so if you live in the southen half of the country a multigrade oil is not needed. This oil was developed for regions where it gets below freezing, Texas ain't one of them states. :cool:

I thought the W in Texas stood for sumthen else :tongue:

I've had my TR for almost 15 years and I never heard of anyone coking the oil from turbo heat so from that perspective I agree with the Weekster. However, I did switch to sync in my big block vette years ago and got a good drop in oil temp and water temp. That's the reason I ran it in the GN - until it started leaking. Synth's leak like a sieve!

Synthetic oil

My car would knock when started with mobile 1. switched to Royal Purple 10w30 no more cold start up knock.

Back