You can type here any text you want

Need some advice on power wire for amp routing.

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

RUQWKNF

KEEPER OF SECRETS
Staff member
I'm going to be installing an Infinity Reference 7521a amp to power my rear Infinity 6x9s and would like to hear some suggestions on the best way to route the power wire up to the battery? Should I just route it through the factory grommet beside the power brake booster then back behind the motor? Or should it be routed in front of the motor underneath the radiator cover over to the battery? Or possibly run it with the other ECM wiring harness grommet on the passengers side? I would like to avoid any RMI interference that might be caused by the power cable being close to the CCCI unit if behind the motor, or any that might come from the ECM wiring. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'm tackling this project today and tomorrow.
Thanks.

Patrick

Have you thought about routing a larger wire (4ga) through the frame rail to the rear of the car? You would bypass all the engine harness and RMI. Once at the rear of the car you could mount a bulkhead so you will have a power supply for several things.

That's actually a good idea, thanks Jason.
Got the receiver and speakers installed and working perfectly today. Tomorrow is the CD changer and Amp.
Thanks again Jason.

Patrick

You can actually drill a hole below the air box on the firewall instead of running it through the ECM grommet. The ECM grommet is actually pretty hard to fish through. I never had any problem with radiated noise from the power wire running it close to the ECM.

4G is a good size to power most multiple amplifiers.

Running it through the frame is a different approach but to me it's time comsuming.

Holy Cow this setup rocks!!! I tried it before the amp install and after the amp was installed and these Infinity 6x9s are awesome. Plenty of bass and the gain on the amp is barely turned up. Gonna have to do something for the baby 3.5's now. Wow, I'm blown away at the difference. Welp, just thought I'd reply, my ears are ringing now.
:D

Patrick

Holy Cow this setup rocks!!! I tried it before the amp install and after the amp was installed and these Infinity 6x9s are awesome. Plenty of bass and the gain on the amp is barely turned up. Gonna have to do something for the baby 3.5's now. Wow, I'm blown away at the difference. Welp, just thought I'd reply, my ears are ringing now.
:D

Patrick

The input gains on amps don't deternined the power output of the amp. There is a proper way of adjusting amp gains.

Put a 100 microfarad capacitor for the 3.5" dash speakers this will block most of the unwanted bass through those little speakers.

Back