Need some advice

slow305

One Cool Guy
How long do you wait between races? I went to an 1/8th mile track last weekend and made about 3-4 passes within 15 minutes with no cool down in between. Also, my boost seemed to be coming out after the 2nd or 3rd run. Was this because the engine was getting hot? Didn't bring my Turbolink, and I don't have a temp gauge. Also, my boost gauge is laying in the space under my radio so it's hard to see while racing. My best run was 9.8 in the 1/8th and it was just downhill from there. My buddies '02 stock GTP stomped me down!

a few tricks of the trade if your making alot of passes in a short time frame.

1. ice the charge pipes and FMIC (if you can)
2. get a intercooler sprayer (if you dont want to drop $ on a cryo kit (which i suggest you steer clear of because c02 actually slows you down if its injested into the air filter (it happens when your car is moving). a cheap easy trick is to use your window sprayers run a vac line (for the water) from the pump to y fitting then take 2 volley ball pumps (crimp the air spraying area with a plier) insert it into the vac line and zip tie it where it will spray on the FMIC. put some ice and alchy (denatured works well or if you dont want that spraying on your FMIC ice water is fine) squirt it a few times before you stage to cool things down.
3. spray bottle with ice water (spray your FMIC down and charge pipes. it will help with the heat soak issues.
if you have access to n20 but do not want to spray on your motor give your FMIC and pipes a quick shot from an open bottle.

30 minutes worth of cooldown in the summer heat, between hard runs isnt really doin ya any good at all. i doubt you'd pick up, or maintain anything over one tenth to be honest. just get a really good radiator/electric fan combo, and ice the appropriate parts in between your runs is about all ya can do.

buick verses rice!! well duh

race the big red wagon first yea know the one rollin with a stroller and child seats in it been reading whats been going on and i wana see yea earn your way threw the wagon then the gn i already know the out come

My brother has the Ramchragers dual fan set up and a new radiator in his GN and he claims it never gets above 170 degrees even at the track with little time between runs. He also has a 160 degree thermostat. I have the stock fan and OEM radiator and my car gets as high a 212-214 degrees. Big difference. I'm gonna go that route as soon as I free up some cash. It seems to be the best way to go with our cars becuase the stock electric fans won't keep up as they get older.

ICE IS FOR RICE

what could you psossible cool down with ice that wont be at engine temp by the time you get to the line

ive never gone slower and ive made many back to back to back passes within 10minutes of each other ,

i run the ramchargers and 160 therm and have run back to backwith air temps over 95 and never see above 176
, dont be so quick to turn off the engine after a run , pop the hood latch on the return road and let the coolant and the fans do their job , they are also cooling the transmission as you idle .
i usually wont shut the car off if doing back to backs and will usually idle in the pits for about 5 minutes before turning off ignition

another advantage i have is the alky and a small stock intercooler that is cooled by stock fan on crank so heatsoak isnt a big problem

and around here most tracks uness you get there early youll be lucky to get two passes in an evening

temps

before you change fans and t stat consider this if your cars runs a consistent 212 to 214 leave it this allows for better atomzations of fuel a cool temp will not nessicarly run better,,for example zr1 vetts fans do not come on till about 220 to 230 degres but it works. cooling fuel helps cooling the coolnat makes lil difference.

gasman

darkred87T said:
My brother has the Ramchragers dual fan set up and a new radiator in his GN and he claims it never gets above 170 degrees even at the track with little time between runs. He also has a 160 degree thermostat. I have the stock fan and OEM radiator and my car gets as high a 212-214 degrees. Big difference. I'm gonna go that route as soon as I free up some cash. It seems to be the best way to go with our cars becuase the stock electric fans won't keep up as they get older.

Tracks frown on water dripping off the engine compartment-forget spraying water on anything. They don't allow spraying NOS or CO2 on the intercooler at the local track to me.

ALASKA GAS MAN said:
before you change fans and t stat consider this if your cars runs a consistent 212 to 214 leave it this allows for better atomzations of fuel a cool temp will not nessicarly run better,,for example zr1 vetts fans do not come on till about 220 to 230 degres but it works. cooling fuel helps cooling the coolnat makes lil difference.

gasman
Thanks, I wasn't sure if 212-214 is normal operating temps for these cars. I just figured it was running too hot.