You can type here any text you want

Need some help on a article for the TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

phillyturbosix

Staff member
Last Friday Hemmings did a photoshoot of my TTA. As of now they think it will be in the February issue. They gave me this monster form to fill out on the specs of the car. I found most of the specs. I didn't know on the awesome sites we have on the web but one thing I'm up in the air on is the horsepower. As we all know they rated them at 250bhp but they dyno'd anywhere from 301 to 310. When they do a article on a car at the end it shows all the specs on the car if you ever read Hemmings Muscle Machines and the horsepower is the biggest thing on the last page of the article! So should I tell them it's 301 or the 250??

I want people to know how badass these cars were and the power they made stock so I figured I'd ask the guys on the board. Let me know what you think I should put in there.

Other then the horsepower everything else is true on the cars specs. So let me know what you think!

Also any other specs sheets on the TTA that anyone might have let me know. You would not believe some of the stuff they want to know! Like.. Torque Converter.. Type..Brand..Model..Stall speed...Diameter..
Were are those Pontiac pros!!?? :) Thanks in advance..

Put some race gas in there and get it dynoed yourself....That way you can show them the dyno tracing....Will prolly be more than the 250 GM reported. :)

On the form, you can say GM rated it at 250, then put an asterisck and a footnote with your dyno numbers from a 17 y/o bone stock car....Include the torque numbers....I hope you have an adjustable wastegate to use for the afternoon...If you don't, call me ;)

There is a link in the TTA FAQ list about the stall speed of our D-5 converters.

lee

phillyturbosix said:
I would but I need this done by Wednesday! :eek: ...Snip.. :)

Put the asterisck in there, and say dyno numbers will follow....Get some dyno numbers from a trusted boardmember with bone stock TTA....Always more options if you press the limits :)

Some big (accurate) numbers will create a lot interest in our cars....May be what we need to see the values rise ;)

Some big (accurate) numbers will create a lot interest in our cars....May be what we need to see the values rise ;)[/QUOTE said:
That's why I posted this question before the article comes out and you girls flame me! :p :p :p

Ttt

phillyturbosix said:
That's why I posted this question before the article comes out and you girls flame me! :p :p :p

We 'girls' are simply jealous that its not our car in the magazine :)

Well Jimbo....you could mention that one of your Buddies has a Mint Low mile car like yours that was BONE STOCK just like yours and went 13.39@102.05.
And Now with just a Gutted Cat, Stock 'VERY' Slightly Tweaked Chip, K & N, & Race Gas it went 12.306@112.64 at only 20Lbs of boost(talk about Potential)!
And then watch thier Jaw Drop and Say "well DAM, I guess "Bone Stock' they had to be more like 301 Horsepower!!" :biggrin:

You could also mention that JDSTTA is running 11.03 with a completely stock block and a few refinements....:D

And one of your other buddies ran a 13.1@100mph with just open exhaust and drag radials.

Did you mention everything about the crossdrilled crank and better flowing heads? How about a plug in for www.turbobuick.com is always nice to have too so those interested have somewhere to get more information. I'm sure you'll represent us well since your car is always looking nice.

That's what I'm talkin about guys.. keep the info coming. I'm going to include it all in my write up to them. You know how you read an article and they are so wrong on certain things.. and you wonder where they got the information from.. well I want to make sure that don't happen. I want people to read this write up and go wow! I told George how allot of the guys on the boards do small mods to their TTA's and run amazing numbers. After he drove mine he saw how. For a stock car mine sh!ts and goes :)

phillyturbosix said:
I want people to know how badass these cars were and the power they made stock so I figured I'd ask the guys on the board. Let me know what you think I should put in there.

Well, here are my 2 favorite qoutes that show what you are asking for;

PAS stated that "the stock cars( as all of them were ), had a lap speed at Indy of 158.30 MPH, and a top speed on the straights of 171.26 MPH, !!! With a professional driver."

Car & Driver:
"The 20th Anniversary Turbo Trans Am was under rated at 250 horse power and is still the quickest at 4.6 seconds 0 to 60 and low 13's for the quarter."

I think these statements pretty much covers what you need. I believe the 4.6 is an even better number than what the Zr1 did. (Talk tuh me! Tell me sumum! I'm uh bidnessman!) :D

Jim,
Here is a dyno sheet for my car from PAS.

This also sums it up. :biggrin:

- Dave

Attachments

• 227409Dyno.JPG
    227409Dyno.JPG
    74.5 KB · Views: 144
Great Post Davage!

Who was it that was racing a TTA around those twisty courses and won the national race....? That is a neat tidbit when you consider its competing against new WS-6s....

It would be nice to tweak Hemming's interest in a follow-up article focusing on what the TTA has done competitively since 1989....Meaning: Salt Flat speed records, drag racing history, and the twisty course racing wins.... :)

Lee

so thats 345 hp at the crank??

using a accurate formula I came up with (with vehicle weight of 3650 lbs) I have Brians TTA pegged at 306 at the rear wheels. Thats makes the 345 spot on due to driveline losses.. so..

306 at the rear wheels and 345 at the crank are the numbers Jim:)

more

i ran stock turbo @ 19 lbs and a little alky on stock tires and turbo tweak alky chip 8.5 @ 82.36 mph in the 1/8th with a very badly cracked stock pass header....and a 2.0 60ft time...

Didn't Ivan, who use to post on the mailing list, run a 12.99 with his bone stock TTA. If memory is right the only thing done to the car was newer street radials and he blocked off the VC vent to the inlet bell. Ambient temps were like in the hi 40's low 50's and he was trapping like 104-105 mph

Thanks again guys. Just want to make these cars look the best they can! I have sent all the information to him with a million links. I'm sure he won't be able to get it all in the article but it should be intresting how he spreads it all out! I'll let you know updates as to when this will be coming out! :)

Back