You can type here any text you want

Need to reset the odometer on my new cluster

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

myindyturbo

The speedometer broke on my TTA and no longer registers speed or mileage and stopped at 53,276
I was able to buy a used one, (don’t ask what it cost) and am about to install it from the help on this board.
My question is, the one I bought reads only 32,342 miles. How would I adjust it show 53,276 ? If I remove the plastic lens, can I just rotate the numbers to read correctly or will it break. My concern is that if I don’t adjust it, the next time it gets inspected it will be less mileage than the last time and will show up wrong on Carfax if I ever sell it.
Bill

imo ....your better off just driving it up 2 the mileage you had... ;)

:D :D

sometime when you play with them speedo's the #'s just dont line up on a straight line afterwards.........becareful

maybe just take pics of before and after and keep for reference if you sell..

You'll have to take apart the whole speedo get in side it and remove the wheels then yuo can reset the numbers and reinstall it. Too much of a p.i.t.a. Put the car on blocks and let it run the numbers up. That way your not abusing the drivetrain getting up to the number that corresponds to the actual mileage....

there's usually anti-tamper devices in the odometer to prevent rolling back. rolling forward? you might just be able to roll the numbers. either way- be careful as the gears and stuff in there are finely calibrated and could be delicate.

When i did it on my 87 sage green car i had to dissassemble the entire speedo roller with lots of tiny little working parts. Took me about 30-45 minutes. I am a excellent tinker'er so i figured i could do it.

The only reason i did it is because my car was a NA car, and i installed the TR cluster, needed to match up the mileage from the old one. I kept the original cluster to remind me of the correct mileage of when i did the conversion.
BW

Do not try to roll the numbers, you'll break em and then your fuked! It has to be completely dissambled in order for it to work.......

Back