You can type here any text you want

Need tranny guy in D/FW area of Texas

• Thread starter Thread starter 1QuikV6
  • Start date Start date

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

1QuikV6

My tranny needs a rebuild and I only want someone competent in our trannies to do the work. I live in Fort Worth Texas and needs someone local to me. I'm aware of Mike Kurtz in Richardson Texas but that is a 7 hour drive. I need the work performed in one day because it's my daily driver. I would appreciate any input leading to the capture of one of these men. Thanks gang.

~Rob

Mike Kurtz is in Houston Texas not Richardson. There is a guy at Phoenix Transmissions in Weatherford Texas 30 miles from you that I know can build a good tranny with quick turnaround. If you have plans on going mid 11's or quicker some day then I would pony up and send it off. I have yet to find someone here that really knows what he is doing with a list of consistantly fast cars showing the track time to back up his product. I know because I get the old "You ato do a 400 turbo" or "You should think about this or that". If it's a high 11 second daily driver, Greg at Phoenix can help very reasonably priced. If not, I would save your coins and send it off.

Mike Kurtz

Thanks TrboHead, I got Mike's address from the vendors list at gnttype.org and it says Richardson. More than likely, I will send it to him. Just looking out for other option, and you provided one. Thanks.

Hey Rob, I've heard of the guy at Phoenix also, so he must be very popular in the Hot Rod arena, not sure about TRs though.
You might want to ask Billy Duke?? in Saginaw who he recommends. The guy I bought the extra rims from works for him, I can put you in touch with him and he can hook you up. He should have a fully streetable 8 sec GN for the Lone Star mini nats in San Antonio on the 28th, I checked out the car Friday.

Hello Rob, I had my GN's tranny done by Steve's transmission in Dean, Texas (about 15 minutes east of Wichita Falls). He rebuilt it back to factory specs and it shifts hard into 2nd and 3rd. Needless to say He was the only one that I found in my area that does excellent work. I got it built for $600.00 with new D-5 convertor. He would be located apx 2 hours west of Ft. Worth. If you are interested, I will give you his number. I am very satisfied with his work and would recomend him to anyone in this area.

I have the man for you!!

RICHARDSON IMPORT AUTO...Don't let the name fool you. Adi Glatz owns this establishment and you can see his 87'-9 second 8 cylinder regal in the lobby! He has an incredible tranny guy working there. All he does when not working on BMW's is rebuild 200R4's. You can trust Adi, he's a good man. He's at 75 and beltline in Dallas. About 25 to 30 minutes away from you. I bought my GN from him and he has helped me tremendously. If you don't have the money to blow, he will sell good used parts as well..(TH down pipes, cold air, etc.) The number is:(972) 234-8488. Adi is also the president of the Lone Star Buick Club. Not just a client! Hope this helps.;)

R.I.A. continued...

Adi buys Turbo Regals, sets them up, and then sells them. there are two GN's in the lot now. One is 12.5k and the other is 12k. The guy in Houston that does the tranny work sends his car to Adi for motor work. I can't say enough good things about this guy.

Plano Automatic Transmissions, ask for Jeff. This guy owns a Buick and has been working on both of my cars and a few others in the area for years. It is located in Plano, on Plano Pkwy. right off of 75. 901 East Plano Parkway. Suite 121. Plano, Texas. (972) 423- 3666 Just give him a call and see if you like him, the guy who normally answers the phone will seem kinda rude, but don't mind him, Jeff is a great guy and will take care of you.

Nicholas

Hey gang, thanks for all the wonderful recommendations. I really appreciate it.

Re: I have the man for you!!

Originally posted by danfromdallas
RICHARDSON IMPORT AUTO...Don't let the name fool you. Adi Glatz owns this establishment and you can see his 87'-9 second 8 cylinder regal in the lobby! He has an incredible tranny guy working there. All he does when not working on BMW's is rebuild 200R4's. You can trust Adi, he's a good man. He's at 75 and beltline in Dallas. About 25 to 30 minutes away from you. I bought my GN from him and he has helped me tremendously. If you don't have the money to blow, he will sell good used parts as well..(TH down pipes, cold air, etc.) The number is:(972) 234-8488. Adi is also the president of the Lone Star Buick Club. Not just a client! Hope this helps.;)

Not to say anything bad about Adi, but he isn't the great turbo regal messiah you make him out to be. He bought that "9 second regal" as is and As far as I know has never gone 12 seconds with it, let alone 9 seconds.

I spoke with his "transmission guy" over a year ago about freshening up mine and he quoted me "$1400". I told him it still shifted great and nothing was wrong with it and I had all the parts....$1400. From the time I made the phone call until the today I've put another 75 or so low 12 to mid 11 second passes on the transmission as it was. He acted like I was bringing him a bucket of broken parts.

Needless to say I will look elsewhere when the transmission eventually breaks. He's a very nice guy, but if you want to go fast and want it to last there are a lot of other places that are closer to Ft Worth than Richardson. If RIA was $500 cheaper than Kurtz (century in houston) and four hours closer, I'd still go to Kurtz. JMO.

Well....

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience with Adi. I am not appologizing for him, but he's a particular kind of guy. At first I thought he was an arse, same for his employees. I made my appearances on a daily basis and built a relationship with them. From that day forward, I never had a problem. The Regal lin the showroom has never seen 9 seconds, he's still kinda afraid of the car. I guess he bought it from some guy in Michigan or somewheres. Alot of people have varrying opinions of Richardson Import Auto and their staff, I for one will continue to patronize him.

One more time

If you have the money, then sending a tranny to Kurtz is the best idea. For a daily driver though, that will never see 10 seconds....Adi will do. Hell, you mind as well send the tranny to Bruce if you have the patience for our great parcel services.

Just another option....

Another option would be www.boost-performance.com
If nothing else, click on the link and ck out. The guy who owns this place is gonna be good at these trans' . You watch, I know ;)

Back