You can type here any text you want

Need tuning place in CT/NY area

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

transampacecar

I am looking to find someone in the lower New York or Conn area who knows how to tune a TTA. I have gone to several mechanics who claim they know how, but when I start to talk about BL readings and other readings on my scanmaster they have that "deer in the headlight" look on their faces.
Anyway, it is basically stock with only a 160 thermostat, new plugs, adjust fuel pressure reg, Walpro pump and hotwire kit. and a mild chip setup for 93 oct, 18 lbs of boost (which was way to high, had to adjust the actuator to bring it down to 15) 18 degrees of timing and the 160

I am looking for someone who tune it and check things like vacuum leaks, etc.

I live near Danbury CT.

My thought is Cottons in Mass which is about a 2 hour drive, is it worth driving that far and bringing it to him for tuneup or does anyone know someone in my area.
Thanks

What is there to tune?

If your BL number at idle is +-10 from 128.. IAC at idle 20ish in park, TPS .42-.44, runs 15 PSI boost without knock.. is not throwing any MAL codes.. leave it alone.

There is nothing externally to tune if the above numbers are being read. All tuning to maximize performance is done with the chip. And to find someone who can burn chips to your particular car... as in a shop.. dont know anyone. Plus at stock boost levels.. not much is to be had.

BL number can be tweaked using fuel pressure, but if the stock regulator is on.. that cannot be changed.

Changing vacuum hoses is not a science. If theyre bad.. its an easy thing to do. The BL number will let you know if there is an issue.

HTH

I am running basically stock and installed a scanmaster. It does have an adjustable FPR which I believe is set to hight (47psi)
Anyway, some of the readings on the scanmaster I believe are not within the range they are suppose to be from what I have read.
The BL is 145 at idle, the O2 goes to 910 and the knock at the top of 3rd gear 3.0 with 15 lbs of boost.
Being a novice, I thought I should bring it to someone and let them read the scanmaster and see if there is something that should be tuned, adjusted, vacuum leaks, etc.
I did change the plugs recently and gapped to .35
I do have a chip, see above, and an adjustable actuator.
Again, being new to this, I always heard that Tuning is very important and thats why I thought of bringing it to someone, but if there is nothing to tune, then I am not sure what to do.

BL145 means the O2 sensor is reading a lean condition and adding fuel. This lean condition can be cuased by a bunch of different items. Typically its vacuum leaks cuased by rotten hoses, bad PCV, bad MAF, bad injectors, bad O2 sensor, etc. Do a search for "High BLM's", "pegged BLM's", High BL, etc.. the info is on this site.

So if your not mechanically inclined, then yep.. its got to go to a Buick mechanic. The BL number with fuel pressure in the 43-45 PSI range should be +-4 from 128 at idle. The scanmaster wont lie.

I would replace O2 sensor with AFS20 AC Delco, PCV with AC Delco, and replace any vacuum hose that are suspect. If all thats been replaced.. it gets deeper.

HTH

Jack's is only a little over 1 hour from Danbury, no? You can make Hartford in 40-45 mins, right? (obviously not during rush hours!)
I made Jack's in less than 1 hour from West Haven and 80 mins from Milford. He's just over the CT line, same thing as going to Six Flags. It's worth the trip but you have to pin him down to a day because he's always busy.

Another alternative would be Ron's Custom Auto in NJ, but that would be a little farther.

I heard good things about Turbo People in Hastings too.

Back