You can type here any text you want

Need wiring/hardware help....

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Nick Micale

Tech Advisor
Staff member
My area of experience is not in custom electrical wiring, but I bet I can get some info here that will assist me.:D

I plan to remove the entire underdash wire harness and bulkhead connector and only wire for functions I need. After 20+ years, most of it race car time, it is a mess under there. Also, a few other local GN racers are almost at this point, so again I am the "test mule".:rolleyes:

What I am looking to do is run both a ground and power from the battery [in the trunk] to a distribution panel in the interior - like above the pass footwell. From there I will go to 2 sub-panels - one for switched power, other for constant on power.

The starter will have a remote solenoid and its own cable directly from the battery, so it will not be on this system.

The switched power panel would have a relay to power it up.

Not a lot of functions to deal with in a race car, lights, fans, trans brake, line lock, RPM switch and few similar items.

What I am looking to find are these 3 panels [or whatever the proper name] with out the high $$$ race parts. Seems like some high end stereos I have seen in GN's are fitted with wild components and really nice installs.

Appreciate any comments and advise if I am on the right track looking for stereo type parts. [Actually I have used a high AMP stereo re-setable breaker for years w/the trunk mounted battery!]

Thanks in advance for any help.:)

Nick, I have done just that with my Vega. I will call you tonight with a few ideas. I have done mine on the cheap yet still very safe.

What would do and to make it simple and clean is to start off with a main 12v power cable directly from the battery to a main junction box or panel.

The wire would be a 1/0 or bigger.

1/0 ground directly from the battery to the frame and another to the body.

Make sure you use a circuit breaker or a ANL fuse. I use Bussman circuit breakers beware on copy brands. Make sure the fuse/breaker is near the battery.

1. Main power distribution/fuse
2. Main switch panel
3. Main relay panel

Use relays to turn on/off everything in your car. This will elininate big bulky high current switches and the relays can power up to 30-40 amps of current. Also with relays it easier to troubleshoot electrical problems.

Check out stinger products there should be something there for you Stinger Electronics :: Where It's Loud

Back