You can type here any text you want

Needle Camshaft Bearings

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

sumnerw

Anybody know of a source for needle camshaft bearings?

Thanks,
Buzz White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)

Thanks, Kendall!

As I understand it from the thread, direct oiling is not required. I like that since it should put more oil to the mains and rods.

However, some provision does need to be made to transfer oil to the D/S oil galley. I'm thinking about connecting the oil galleys together at the rear of the block with braided hose and taking my oil pressure signal from there. Anybody done that?

Thanks again,
Buzz White in Houston, TX (sumnerw@flash.net)

You can drill a hole into each oil passge inside the lifter valley, tap it, put fittings in it and use steel braided line to connect the two sides together.

Also keep in mind that your camshaft will have to be machined to fit the new bearings.

The easy way is to cut a groove in the number one cam jounal (in the block) from the main feed to the d/s lifter galley hole. Any machine shop with a bearing book can get the rollers for you. I get mine from a little one man machine shop down the street. Takes about two days. I have seen blocks with the galleys connected in the lifter galley and behind the block but by grooving the block you eliminate all the plumbing.

Thanks for all of the ideas.

The idea behind connecting the oil galleys after the feed to the rear main is to ensure that all of the mains and rods are a higher priority than lifters and valve train.

The way the stock oil system is designed, the d/s oil galley, which only serves the d/s valve train, is a higher priority than the mains 2 through 4 and the rods they serve.

With the needle bearings, the mains can be promoted ahead of even the cam now.

Since the p/s valve trains and the mains/rods are fed from the same galley, I don't see a way, however, of serving the mains/rods ahead of the p/s valve train.

I am a little nervous about the extra plumbing 'cuz it sure would be a PITA to troubleshoot and repair.

As for the cam, smaller journals, lower lobes. smaller base circle and longer pushrods appear to be in order.

Later,
Buzz

Back