Negative Experince from PowerPlate

5.0 THIS

STILL SLOW
I just installed a powerplate and my car seems to run worse. It might be my mind playing games with me but the turbo doesn't seem to spin up as fast, and I get more knock. Did I do something wrong. Has anybody else had a bad experince after adding a powerplate.

Thanks
Chris

My car seemd lightly more sluggish but had less knock. Mind you my transmission died 10 minutes after installing it so it might have been that. Spool was not altered either way. It seemed to idle a little better.

You may have some type of vacuum leak there now...That would bleed off boost and cause the slow spoolup...

MAYBE YOU SHOULD TAKE IT OFF AND SEE IF THERE IS AN IMPROVEMENT. POPULAR CONSENSUS IS THAT THE POWERPLATE CAUSES AN IMPROVEMENT.

I NOTICED YOUR QUARTER MILE TIME OF 15.46. IS THAT A MISTAKE? IF NOT, YOU MUST BE HAVING SOME OTHER PROBLEMS. SEEMS LIKE YOU SHOULD BE GOING 13.46 WITH YOUR PRESENT MODIFICATIONS.

Well. even if he was going mid 13s, the 92 mph trap time is still off...heck, a 14.0 is about 98-100 mph...

My suggestion would be to quit throwing add-ons on your car and FIGURE out what is really wrong with it and fix that...

Hate to say it, but a stock 84/5 running stock boost can still run low 15s and turning up the boost can run a low 14s-high13s...

You have either some tuning problems or mechanical problems there, bud...

no bad experiances here-

is your boost level the same? and is the throttle body gasket sealed to the doghouse?

HTH

My fuel pressure is set at 40 and my car burns really rich at WOT. The 15.46@92mph was not at a track but at the closest straight stretch of road using Direct Scan. It had a slight up-hill grade to it and I was running 12-13psi of boost. I do know that I need to do my valve springs and that I think that one or more of my valves are not sealing very well. I bought new valve springs about 6 months ago. I have never done valve springs before, so I am a little nervous about doing it. My car has a lot of miles on it, but the engine has been out of the car before. I am in college, so I don't have access to any garadge. I should probaly update my mods on my car. I have added a hooker exhaust, 3" downpipe with a Deltagate, Alky injection, Rear-seat Brace, and of course the Powerplate.

Thanks
Chris

oh.....and my Cam is probably worn out. I would like to get a cam that could handle everyday driving.

Chris

well no wonder
if you have the smc alky kit and your running the plate, then the car is going to flood out at wot and run like a pig at 12-13 psi

can you , or have you tried turning up the boost, and alky to achieve 20 psi and see if the car doesnt knock?

i just swapped turbos on my car today, and had to retune the car, took about 5 or 6 runs, and now its set at 21 psi and 0.0 knock-

12 psi is going to run rich on pump gas--
so why dont you shut off the alky kit, tune the car for pump gas and no knock, probably get about 16 psi of boost
then turn on the alky and crank the boost up to about 22 psi with a street chip and get the car running like it should??!!?!

I would like to but my Deltagate is being re-built. The guys at Turbonetics are taking forever and their service is really bad. They have had my deltagate for 23 days now and they keep giving me the run-around. I am not sure what my car will do now but I get knock around 15psi of boost with or with out alky. It goes away after a few seconds and the car takes off.

Chris

Your about 4.5 hours from me. Maybe one weekend you can make the trip down and I can help you get the car lined out. I'm a hour from Bristol Dragway

TurboMike, I might take you up on that offer. Where in VA do you live. I am about an hour and a half from Bristol.

Chris

Originally posted by 5.0 THIS
I would like to but my Deltagate is being re-built. The guys at Turbonetics are taking forever and their service is really bad. They have had my deltagate for 23 days now and they keep giving me the run-around. I am not sure what my car will do now but I get knock around 15psi of boost with or with out alky. It goes away after a few seconds and the car takes off.

Chris

The simplest thing to do is go back to a ported elbow and stock style actuator in the meantime. That down pipe isn't worth much performancewise until you have a lot more mods than you currently have, and it definately doesn't sound like its worth the hassles you are experiencing. You can probably sell it on ebay for about $200 and someone else can have your troubles.

Buying a lot of mismatched performance parts is the hard way to go fast and there are no magic "bolt on" solutions to problems. Things like a power plate will help a good running car run a little better, but they won't make a bad running car, run good. You have to find the problems and fix them, first.

It seems that every time that I get my car running good, it doesn't last, and something else goes wrong. Right now I am having brake troube, which I belive is the accumulator ball. I guess thats what I get with buying a high millage car.

Chris

All of us guys spend a lot of time working on our cars. Maybe you could go out and get a new Camaro for $25 or $30K and not have to do as much. You just won't have that extra 5 or 6 hundred a month in your pocket :eek:. Once you get these cars squared away, they are very reliable. I put on about 500 miles a week with no problems and most of the work I do is just preventive maintenance that ALL cars need. You may just need to rearrange your priorties as far as how you set your car up. We want be helpful.;)

I live in Duffield (zip is 24244) I'm going to start going to the Street Fights on Thursday nights pretty soon. We could tune you car one day and check out the results at the track. Come with anticipation, leave with a grin :)

I would love to take my car to the track. I have never been before, so I don't know how everything works. I know I need a battery tie down strap and maybe a drive shaft safety loop, and of course a helmet. I don't have the money for drag radials, so I will have to try my car out on street tires. I will probably bring my car down on a trailor incase something breaks. Maybe I could race the tow vehicle as well ( 1984 6.2 liter Diesele 2500 Surburban), it would probaly be faster then my GN :D

Thanks
Chris

Just out of curiosity, what chip are you running? And, at 12 or 13 PSI boost you should have the alchy turned off. You shouldn't need it till you're running more than 16-17 psi.