You can type here any text you want

New 3.8 build

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

81regalsocal

My 231 is toast and needs to be rebuilt...Can I rebuild it to make it "turbo ready," but not run it turbo for a couple months until i save money...I understand the turbo block has stronger components than a non-turbo block to withstand the power. If thats not possible i was thinking about rebuilding the 231 stock and adding HP cam, pace headers, dual exhaust, msd-6a, and a carb upgrade.....What is a good carb upgrade..??? if my questions seem dumb, i apologize for my ignorance....

Welcome aboard. First things first though. The major differences in the engines is the rolled fillet crank, better rods, and pistons that will hold up to turbocharging. You can find these on the board in the for sale section at a decent price if you're patient. Do some research on what you want to do and make a plan. Once you decide how you want to go about building your engine then start gathering parts. There are some simple upgrades you can do now like headers, cam, and intake that won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Where are you located so one of us maight be able to help you.

Go to your user controls and add that location, otherwise you'll need to post it everytime you ask for some help.

My 231 is toast and needs to be rebuilt...Can I rebuild it to make it "turbo ready," but not run it turbo for a couple months until i save money...I understand the turbo block has stronger components than a non-turbo block to withstand the power. If thats not possible i was thinking about rebuilding the 231 stock and adding HP cam, pace headers, dual exhaust, msd-6a, and a carb upgrade.....What is a good carb upgrade..??? if my questions seem dumb, i apologize for my ignorance....
thats the way i did my motor. i built it just in case i wanted to do the turbo.

If you are for sure going to do a turbo setup, I'd just run the n/a crank and drop in some hyper pistons, a stock 87 GN cam, clean up the heads and install new valve springs, and slap all the stock stuff back on. Why spend money on headers, carb, and msd box when you you could use that money to buy a carb turbo setup and then some?

If you are for sure going to do a turbo setup, I'd just run the n/a crank and drop in some hyper pistons, a stock 87 GN cam, clean up the heads and install new valve springs, and slap all the stock stuff back on. Why spend money on headers, carb, and msd box when you you could use that money to buy a carb turbo setup and then some?

+1... as long as your mellow with the boost, some hypers and an NA crank will hold 350 hp

A.j.

Yup. Just learn to tune before you start crankin stuff up. First mod I'd do to the carb turbo setup would be alky injection:biggrin:

Back