New 98 GS Owner

V

veesixer

Just picked up a 98 GS for a cool $8k from a local wholesaler. She's bone stock with 51k miles.

I've had the car for three days and I'm in love.

Is this the best forum to discuss the late model GSs or do we have to hang out on the Pontiac sites?

Thanks,

Steve
Texas

wow, good deal, i paid 10k for my 97.5 with 40k on it, they are great cars

There was a catch of course. There is a scrape between the rear driver's door and the rear wheel well. I'm hoping a body shop around town can fix it up at a minimal cost.

The rest of the car is really nice and the interior is just about perfect. I spent about 5 hours on Saturday cleaning the interior up...looks like new again.

The car was on Ebay last week and fortunately it was a local wholesaler auctioning it off. I called him and aksed him what he wanted from a local buyer and he said $8k. I couldn't believe it so I went to look at it as soon as I could. After getting the okay from the credit union I agreed to buy and he killed the auction. I think he may have regreted that move because he kept telling me how many phone calls he had received after he killed the auction from people wanting the car.

The only other thing that concerns me about the car is the power steering. I checked the fluid today and it was full. Sometimes during turns or backing out of the driveway in the morning the power steering seems to stop functioning briefly or I will feel a pulsing sensation in the steering wheel when I turn hard. I read the other posts about bad rack & pinions. I'm hoping that this is not my problem. Anybody else have weird power steering experiences?

Well, I look forward to chatting with some of you about these late model GSs and hopefully I won't bug yall too much with my questions or my ignorance.

Steve Audish
Dallas,Texas
1998 Regal GS (green/silver)
1969 Skylark 455 (2002 Budget Buildup)
www.audish.com/docs/mycars.htm

i like the green, i have white and platinum, only color they had :(, my PS does that sometimes, only when the car is sitting still, once its moving its ok. what options u have on the car, mine is pretty much loadedwith everything except, heated seats, and moonroof i believe.
See ya

I believe that the only options that I am missing are the heated seats. They would be nice to have, but in Texas they would go unused 99% of the time anyway.

I definitely love all of the options on this car. My commute into work this morning was a much more pleasurable experience for sure.

Now, about these aftermarket pulleys :D

Steve Audish
Dallas,Texas

haha, i could use them here, im in NY, where its about 20 outside now :)

http://www.fbsinc.com/gtp
You may want to get in touch with this guy, he used to have the tool that changed the pullies. There were 3-4 SC cars the last buick - ford shootout at Ennis. Several were running low 13s.
Would you see where your temp guage sets after warmed up, I want to compare it to my wife's.

Thanks
ES

The best UBB for info on modding Regals is the Grand Prix site at ClubGP.com. Lots of Regal owners are members there who can help you out.

TurboBuick.com is a great board and I generally lurk here to learn more about GN's and T-Type Regals, but there isn't alot of posting here relating to the Series II 3800 engines.

Good luck with your new ride!

Congrats, Steve...sounds like a good deal. If your interested in doing the SC pulley upgrade, I've got the puller.

Hey Ross,

Thanks for the offer on the pulley puller. I'm in the middle of building a 455 for my 69' Skylark so any extra cash (not much) I have needs to go to that project. Looks like a pulley for the GS will be on hold for a little while. The good part is that I am still enjoying the 240 horses. Give me a month or so and I'll probably be hungry for more :D

Take care,

Steve Audish
Dallas,Texas

Hey ES,

If I remember correctly, I think the temp gauge sits near the halfway mark after I have been driving a while. I'll try to remember to check it when I drive it to work on Thursday.

P.S. Thanks Tom T for the forum info!

Steve Audish
Dallas,Texas

Originally posted by ES1

Would you see where your temp guage sets after warmed up, I want to compare it to my wife's.

Mine was between the mark below halfway and halfway before I changed thermostats. Then it dropped to between the next two marks. It still goes up to almost halfway if it has to sit in traffic for a while.