New addition to the South Western section... New car!

If I were closer you would have to get a restraining order to keep me away from it. I have the whole combination in my head on what to do with that car.

Lou, we'll see how the build goes and evaluate the "finances-driven" goals a little later. I am curious what your combo would be, unless it is super secret, hired only info. Right now I am getting ready to pull the motor, getting ultra-familiar with the car and parts, soaking up info on here, and paying attention to builds and tactics of the faster cars. Talked setup with Donnie the other day and am going to watch him at the track this weekend. There will be some boost curve, front travel limiter, and aero training going on. ;)

Lou, we'll see how the build goes and evaluate the "finances-driven" goals a little later. I am curious what your combo would be, unless it is super secret, hired only info. Right now I am getting ready to pull the motor, getting ultra-familiar with the car and parts, soaking up info on here, and paying attention to builds and tactics of the faster cars. Talked setup with Donnie the other day and am going to watch him at the track this weekend. There will be some boost curve, front travel limiter, and aero training going on. ;)
No secrets here, The car I had which yours reminds me of I built & raced in 92-95 The best I ran with 260 in. was mid 8's at 159.00 then my SS/DX motor was 221 it & it ran 8.93 at 153.00 they were early off center stage motors. Back then there wasn't any help & the knowledge wasn't available as it is now. Simple things like ideal A/F & timing was learned through trail & error & a lot of broken motors. For a short spell I had an advantage over the rest of my competition with a superior chassis & the first to use motec sequential engine management & was able to squeak a class record out of it.. Class rules dictated that car had to weigh 15 lbs per cu.in. & two small 62 MM turbos only allowed. BB turbo technology hadn't been developed yet.To run any kind of numbers 30# boost was the limit & they didn't last too long. Head gaskets were also a problem which I attribute to the small turbos creating so much back pressure. Because of the combination It ran the same no matter what cam I used so I settled with a 600 lift 235/230 110 L.S. shifted it at 75-7800. I have no experience to date with E85 & that seems the way to go. Since your fortunate to have Donnie in your back yard & his experience with alcohol I would listen to him & not pollute your brain with too many other opinions as we all have our own way of doing things. Plus he is rumored to have a more sweeter personality but defiantly not as good looking as I, but available to talk to if you wish. Have fun with it & good luck.

James,

Can you snap some pictures of the intercooler and plumbing? I am curious how the twin turbos feed into the front mount.

Thanks,
RJ

RJ, here are the pics of the IC's and piping. The IC's are tucked under the front of the car just behind the front bumper. Outlets of the IC's merge in the aluminum pipe you see, and go to the 90mm TB.

Attachments

• DSC02747.jpg
    DSC02747.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 197
  • DSC02750.jpg
    DSC02750.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 195
  • DSC02751.jpg
    DSC02751.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 212
Thanks James,

So unless my eyes are deceiving me your car has twin liquid intercoolers that feed into one up pipe. Is that correct?

This car is so sick. The very idea that you're building is as a STREET car makes you cool in my book. :cool:

Thanks brother! Yeah, I keep saying "street car", the wife says "yeah right". I say if I drive it on the street, drive it on the highway, drive it to work, etc it's a street car. Okay, so it is a little over the top... I plan to tint the front windows to match the rest of the tint, so you won't see the bars, put the rear wing on a fiberglass deck lid and leave a stocker on there for normal driving, and probably pick up another set of 6-7" wide front wheels and tires. Tame it down for regular driving, so I can pick on some unknowing cars and bikes out there. Its already registered, insured and tagged. Now if only I could get Crower to sponsor me with some rods and JE to sponsor me with some pistons I'd be set. ;)

Its already registered, insured and tagged. Now if only I could get Crower to sponsor me with some rods and JE to sponsor me with some pistons I'd be set. ;)

Time to hit the phones man!. Didn't you get a couple sponsors to work out some giveaways at our meet last year in HB? You must have some negotiation skills... :D

Ha ha, yeah that was Lucas; they were awesome to us! Hell, I will even do a wrap on the car if I can get some free stuff! :) Come on Lou, I would even wrap the car to look like a sheep!

Holy crap... Had this car almost a year now come Christmas and still not on the road! Ugh... Have collected some parts, got one of my sets of heads rebuilt with good superalloy valves and ditched the Ti, got my block prepped (minus final hone), cranks wet-magged and polished, etc. I think all I am lacking is (still) Crower 6.3" rods, pistons, rod and main bearings, and a cam, although I have a line on one possibly. Hopefully Santa is nice to me this year, it is killing me having this car locked away in the garage! Trying to keep car $ and family $ separate makes this a long process! Hopefully can get my 85GN cleaned up and sold in the next few months. Will take a few grand from that for 87 parts, put the rest on a new little econobox to drive back and forth to work, and hopefully have the car together in time for summer. Have a few money making ideas for my spare time, but who the hell has spare time!?

No... Been spending way too much time away floating on the big gray things. Have big plans in the coming weeks to conduct an all out assault on it though. Have everything I need I think, just need some balancing done on the rotating assembly then start putting her together. Been waaaay too long. :(

If its not done by June1 get a trailer for the car and another for the parts and tools we can make a video at Bates Nut Farm called the Buick GN (Fast n Loud) for Velocity TV !!!

Hope to see her there !!!

How do the downpipes route, do they go under the engine cross member? Are the turbos supported with braces or are the headers supporting the weight? All the other TT cars I've seen with ATR headers have the turbos flipped the other way, interesting. Cool car, do you have pics of your new engine?

Mike

The plan is to have it running for Bates, if not the food cruise. Food cruise is pushing it, but Bates should be doable.

Yes, the turbos are mounted differently, which makes routing the exhaust an odd setup. It does go under motor, and currently stops and dumps just forward of the cross member under the pan. There are brackets for each turbo, but not the original, beefy ATR brackets. These are a little thinner so if I have time I will make new ones. The turbos are only little TE-63's but are still pretty heavy.

Can't wait to get home and start thrashing!

Welp, I am back in SoCal FINALLY!!!! Now trying to see if getting the car together by Bates is doable.

Go at it. If you need help and want to teach at the same time let me know. Real good with my hands.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Go at it. If you need help and want to teach at the same time let me know. Real good with my hands.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Thanks for the offer brother, will keep that in mind. I actually put the car for sale as a feeler. See if there is any interest as a roller. In the meantime, I am getting the motor ready, prepping all the parts, etc. I will continue to build it and if there is interest as a roller, I will get rid of it and keep all the motor, trans, turbos, headers, etc for "the next car". I wouldn't mind picking up a more family oriented T as a cruiser, and put all those parts into so I can take it and the family to cruise spots, etc. But, I may have a cross country or even out of country move here in the near future so I may just keep the motor stuff until later. We shall see. My car situation is constantly changing!!

I can undrstand that. I just want to get my car back up and running. Just to enjoy it and have some fun. I was hoping to have it up and running by beat nut, but I thank that will not happen at all, but I wish it would.