You can type here any text you want

new chip installation

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!
If the chip is in the standard plastic carrier, it will only fit one way as the pins on one side are wider than the pins on the other side. Whether in the carrier or not, there is a small notch on one end of the chip and this notch needs to be on the right side when the chip is in the ecm.

sorry

for not being specific, i know that it is a plug in part but was really wanting to know the process like should the car be on-off, idling and etc.... thanks

Motor off, key off and unplug the connector at the batter that feeds power to the ECM.

Mike

Yea, what Beamer said.

Unplugging the orange wire at the battery removes power from the ecm and resets it. Be careful handling the chip as static electricity can easily wipe them out.

With the new chip installed, reconnect the orange wire and start her up.

Yea, what Beamer said.

Unplugging the orange wire at the battery removes power from the ecm and resets it. Be careful handling the chip as static electricity can easily wipe them out.

With the new chip installed, reconnect the orange wire and start her up.

True, while that is only ONE source of power for the ECM. There's the other (keyed). It's VERY IMPORTANT to remember to NOT have the key on when inserting or removing the chip. The will blow the chip 100% of the time.

You can actually remove and replace the chip with the orange wire connected and not hurt anything. I've done this in the past when I wanted to retain the memory settings and just do a quick chip change.

Back