new engine , low oil pressure at idle ??

This ^ I ran an electric and a manual one to verify. A bad ground on an electric one will cause it to show low.

Exactly.....
Just talked w/ Autometer tech about this issue.
He said to check ground ohms. Has to be .2 ohms or less, to make the gauge read correctly [Was working on my 55 gas gauge, and voltmeter. Entire system is new.]
[Electric gauges are just volt meters with the faces changed]
I had what I thot were "killer" grounds. Welded studs to the frame/body/etc. Neg cable directly to engine, yadda, yadda. STILl, I got 18 ohms at the gauge cluster ground.:eek:
I re-cleaned the grounds, and reattached the wires..Whamo! <.2 ohms. Meter jumped from that to .00.

Exactly.....
Just talked w/ Autometer tech about this issue.
He said to check ground ohms. Has to be .2 ohms or less, to make the gauge read correctly [Was working on my 55 gas gauge, and voltmeter. Entire system is new.]
[Electric gauges are just volt meters with the faces changed]
I had what I thot were "killer" grounds. Welded studs to the frame/body/etc. Neg cable directly to engine, yadda, yadda. STILl, I got 18 ohms at the gauge cluster ground.:eek:
I re-cleaned the grounds, and reattached the wires..Whamo! <.2 ohms. Meter jumped from that to .00.

I learned it from Don Cruz. Not only can he build engines, he knows electronics :)