new engine run-in, good but oil leak

PaulRV6

Okay, first time turned the key and she fired right up, brought to 2000 rpm and her there for almost 15 min until I noticed a fair amount of oil under neath (about 1/4 pint). Shut if off to investigate. Cannot find but it is somewhere in the vicinity of the oil pump. Removed I/C braket to see pump better but still cannot locate. I checked pump bolts and all were tight. Checked valve cover and intake and nothing is coming from up top. Looks like it is also running betwen starter and pan flange but this could be from windage.

Wiped it all off and restarted. This time with the fuel pressure backed down cause it was about 50 psi. Backed it down to 42 while at 2000 rpm and noticed withing 2 min. that the header on cyl 3/5 were starting to glow red. Shut it off immediately to let cool and still try to find the oil leak.

1) Why did the header get so hot and did I hurt anything?
2) Any suggestions on where my oil might be coming from?

With all the care I took in using proper sealant and torque specs I am somewhat surprised, but, oh well. Have to find & fix.

paul

Is it weeping along the coners of the intake ? or is it coming from the oil pump cover and working it way back to the starter? Front seal ?

Is the car running rich? That will cause the headers to glow. Noticed mine where one night , And I was running rich (carbed setup).

Just some ideas .

Places to look for oil leak around oil pump: Could be the oil supply line for the turbo or oil pressure sending unit (they are both on the same brass block just above the oil pump) or maybe the Turbo oil return line (i have seen it run down from the turbo and make it look like the leak is elsewhere)

As far as the glowing headers I think that a lot of people experience glowing headers when breaking in a cam so that may be normal.

HTH

Sully

Any chance the oil cooler lines have the ends swapped? The end with the O-ring goes into the oil filter adapter [mine needed to be replaced] and the other of course goes into the rad. The large steel fittings that these hoses thread into are also known to leak where they thread into the adapter. I also support the less obvious suggestions above regarding turbo oil feed/return lines 'moving' the actual leak to another location. Did you put the front seal in the cover the correct way out? Did you RTV the locator pin holes in the cover? Just some additional thoughts as I'm typing.
Good Luck Paul, let us know what you find.
Jim

I'm not sure if it is two leaks or just one but I was wondering which way the I/C fan moves the air? Does it pull it thru the intercooler (which would cause the leak to show up further back) or does it push it thru towards the front.
All the obvious leak paths like hoses and such have been checked to be okay.
But gonna do some more searching tonite.

Hey, what about the glowing header, ok or not so good?

paul

Had your front cover off? The last 2 times I had mine off (don't ask! :mad: ), I *forgot* the short bolt directly above the oil pump :confused: and it blew a small amount of oil out - but only while revving it, idling didn't leak. Crank windage must have whipped up enough to seep out the hole...

It's not unusual for the header to glow. I wouldn't worry about it as long as nothing melt-able is near it.
The IC fan is a puller.

found leak, blah

I believe I found the leak, it is either the pump cover (which was new) or the timing cover (which I used a new GM gasket). I never removed either of these while the engine has been in the car. What is the best way to attack this?
Do I have to remove the cam sensor?

Will I have to drain the oil (I don't want to waste the GM breakin oil) at least for a while longer, is this ok?

paul

Hey, I'm on my 4th time! I've had 2 cracked front covers and 1 with a poorly machined oil pump surface that leaked.

• remove intercooler, related piping, & IC fan
  • loosen 4 water pump bolts (if removing water pump too)
  • remove serp belt
  • remove water pump pulley (if removing water pump too)
  • use impact wrench to remove crank bolt (1 1/8")
  • remove damper pulley assembly
  • remove wiring looms for access
  • pull cam sensor
  • drain engine oil (save for reuse if needed)
  • drain coolant from radiator AND from both of the lower (long) water pump bolts
  • pull water pump bypass hose from pump
  • loosen all oil pan bolts and drop pan ~ 1/2"
  • remove front 3 bolts on each side and slide a towel between front cover and pan to sop spilled coolant
  • pull remaining 5/16" front cover bolts (look closely for ALL of them) crank sensor will "fall" off

At this point, the cover should readily come off - some LIGHT prying may be necessary. If it's stuck tight, you prolly missed a bolt or 2. Do NOT force it without being sure. I can pull and reinstall my cover in just a couple of hours! Use sealant on all of the 5/16" bolts except the lower 2 (1 on each side).

HTH,

You sure it's not the O-ring on the oil cooler adaptor that's leaking? That's alot easier to change then the timing cover.
Or is the oil leaking from above, like the turbo oil return line? Or an oil cooler hose?
Also, After I drain the rad. and pull the hoses off the front cover, I use a shop vac to draw the rest of the fluid out of the block, otherwise you will end up with some coolant getting into the pan when you pull the front cover. You have to loosen the oil pan to re-install.

Yea, I wish it was that easy. I am sure it is either the pump cover or the timing cover, just wish I new for sure. Only leaks after the oil is warmed up. It's half apart now, but thanks for all the suggestions.

paul

Hmm, might check for the "missing bolt" syndrome, the short bolt directly above the oil pump is very easy to overlook and will commence to leaking when the oil thins out and splashes around.

OIL LEAK FOUND, NEED ADVICE

Well for any that have responded to my post, after replacing the timing cover gasket and oil pump gasket I still have a leak, found while priming the motor with my drill. Figured the only way to exactly identify is to pull the motor. Primed the engine while on my stand and it turns out to be the pump cover gasket leaking.

I checked both surfaces (new pump kit) and they are flat and smooth. Could there be some other problem? I always use the red spray tack on the gasket, is this the problem? Should it be installed dry or what? What is the best gasket to use? I do not want to use too thick of one since it will cause extra clearance between gears and cover.
Any suggestions are welcomed.

paul