New GN owner looking for help.

stuck in the 80's

My name is Rick and I own RNR Marine in Bradenton, Fl. I really stink at keeping up with social media post etc but I was so impressed with TB.com that I am going to give it a try, forgive me if I am slow to reply. Anyways, I have been running a 82 Buick Regal stroker car at the local tracks and I bumped into a guy with a 86 GN for sale, which I picked up. It has some work done on it but he was not the builder and I have little more to go on. Also it sat for several years and I am slowing getting the beast to wake up. Did fuel tank, pump, MAF etc. Currently I am putting in some Kenne Bell injectors, chip and fuel pump I got a deal on. Figured injectors in car weren't happy sitting so long. After getting the 86 in May I found myself obsessed to get an 87 in my collection and I picked it up in June. It is original paint and interior and it has great potential with some nice aftermarket parts on it. BUT it had a bearing noise and when I started it one time to unload it the engine seized. This one is going to be my show car, I don't need to build a monster but I want base engine to handle a little more than stock HP and torque.

Do I search for a long block or build a long block and if so where to begin. Thank, Stuck in the 80's.

I would yank the motor, pull the pan and see what exactly happened, more than likely a broken crank, but just have that block gone thru and re done if it’s still usable, not for the “numbers matching” that some people Obsess over. Investigate what you have, money could be put towards parts for re-build instead of trying to find another block.
On a side note, if you want to keep it close to “stock” I believe Advance auto sells turbo long blocks, just don’t try to push the HP in it, as it’s built for a “stock” replacement.

Advanced auto?

I think that may be cheeping things town a tad too much.

We all have our favorite vendor/engine builder. Any of the most known Buick builders could supply you with a good reliable long block capable of easily holding up 400-500HP (with the proper supporting upgrades) with their eyes closed for not that much money...

Check your block out first.

Hey NY Twin,
He said he wanted a “base” engine, my secretary has a GN and we dropped one in 2 yrs and 15,000 miles ago, and not a problem. Now granted, she’s not throwing anything but “stock” power to it, it has been a decent long block for what it is, on the cheap side, yes, I will agree with you on that one!!!!!!!!!
But, it also allowed her to throw money at other things, bumper fillers, fuel pump, radiator, plugs, wires, translator, MAF, etc,
You know how it goes, lol

Hey NY Twin,
He said he wanted a “base” engine, my secretary has a GN and we dropped one in 2 yrs and 15,000 miles ago, and not a problem. Now granted, she’s not throwing anything but “stock” power to it, it has been a decent long block for what it is, on the cheap side, yes, I will agree with you on that one!!!!!!!!!
But, it also allowed her to throw money at other things, bumper fillers, fuel pump, radiator, plugs, wires, translator, MAF, etc,
You know how it goes, lol
Yea Boyeeeee "BASE!.........How low can you go?!"

Public Enemy (sometimes with Anthrax) - Bring the noise

There are quite a few builders in FL. I had mine rebuilt by Dave Hartman in Mt Dora, i think thats where his shop was. A stock setup will hold a lot more HP than it came with originally.

Drop it off at Cruz Preformance, if i remember correctly he is in Tampa. He can build it any HP you would like. Plus he has alot nice parts for your "show car" look.