new guy, will have G/N soon with your help

eleanor68

As the title says Im new here, so hello. Name is Jon, I'm from south of Chicago,IL. about 45 minutes away. I'm going to get a G/N soon, yesterday soon, and Ill post an descrition below of what I'm doing and asking for help on. Want an 87 GN and want the pro's opinions on stuff.

First how much should I be paying for a nice nearly mint type G/N? Im watching several right now miles from 7700, up to 65k..Want to find a decent deal, not get screwed I'm sure you understand. Do you know of any quality cars for good price? Main concern it t tops, would love to have another with them, had a monte ss with t's and wife is still pissed I sold it, 10 years ago, so im gonna replace it with a gn. Are the t's any issue for structure on these cars? I'm not a drag racer and will never have slicks. I will plan on all the popular mods though to make it a really fast but dependable street car, so some do's and dont's would be appreciated as well. I did not see much on the forum, but didnt look for a long time so a link would save a bit of time, as I am limited on time but there are at least 6 of interest on ebay that Im watching, hence the request to you for some guidance on cars and price ranges I should be in. Any help would be great and looking forward to being part of the turbo community..Jon jpenracer@aol.com

I have the cash in my account for damn near any car that comes up, so the right price and car will be mine soon!!! Anyone selling, or know of one would be so greatly appreciated if you contacted me and clued me in, thanks again...Jon

Yes T-tops are an issue for the integrity of the body, even hard-top cars can develop cracks in the roof pillars if you drive them hard enough. With that said you can buy braces that attach behind the rear seat, under the engine, under the hood, etc to provide extra rigidity to the body.

A nice GN can go for $20k+, a decent one can be had for $12k-15k.

If you get a car already modified make sure you know what has been done to it. If you get a stock GN make sure you do the preliminary upgrades like fuel system and computer chip.

I do have a TTOP GN, and have never had structural problem with it. However, I never drive it too hard.;) I did order the common braces that I will soon install just to be safe. As long as you are not a racer, a TTOP would be fine if that is what you prefer. I have noticed that TTOP cars generally go for a lower price, even though it was a $900 option from the factory.

BTW-a board member by the name of slack_sr had a beautiful 87 GN hardtop for sale in the Chicago area for a very reasonable $15,500. I don't know if he still has it for sale, but it was in the "cars for sale" section.

saw it listed

saw that car listed, thanks for the tip, looked like a real nice car, close to home as well, too bad it wasnt a t top and i would have contacted him...he'll sell though, winter or not, clean as it appeared to be.

car is still available guys, just got back from my honeymoon, car really has to go now after looking at the bills from the wedding and the house remodeling. Car will probably be listed on ebay tomorrow. If anyone wants to look at it just call me at 312-330-8189.

Thanks,
Mike