You can type here any text you want

new improved MSD DIS-4 install problems

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

summit

I just replaced my old dip switch style MSD box with the new rotary style. I assume I can just unplug the old one and plug in the new one and hook up ground and power? I did that, but no worky. Still works fine with bypass plug, although I did not replace that harness. Just replaced the box and plugged in the heavy ground and power wires. When key is first on I get nothing from the box. After cranking it over the diagnostic light flashes 3 and 2 times. 3 times means intermittant signal, 2 times means low battery. Am I wrong to assume I did not need to replace the whole harness? I have it hard wired to the coilpack and really did not want to do it all again. Really don't want to mail it to MSD to get the "works fine at our end" response.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas

It's been a long time. If I remember correctly, the only thing I changed was the 2-step input

Same thing just happened to a friend. Car runs terrible and the light blinks 3 times. Intermittent input signal.... MSD says it burnt out one of the channels. He had to send it back. They must be havin problems with it cause everyone is back ordered waiting for them now. I run the old style switches on both my cars, one is from 2000 and still works great. Why did you swap? Put your old one back on and get your 400$ + back!

Its nice to know gen 7 dfi has all that built in. My MSD boxed burned out after 2 months, will never buy one again.............

I had a nice rant about spending time bad mouthing a brand instead of helping, but since you have been so helpful in the past Norbs I deleted it. I know how great you think the GEN-7 is, but others have had less than spectacular results with it. Plus it was not available when I bought my Fel-Pro 7 years ago and the Fel-Pro seems to be working fine. Any advice on the MSD boxes?

Greg Kring
87 GN

The Gen 7 has issues also, I feel there are too many variables to set up and the help files are vague at time explaining the procedure to set each chart/map. There is just too much to guess with everything of what to use. The datalogging lacks many parameters that could and should be loggable. However, i still think it is a good value for the dollar spent. I have read so many problems on the msd stuff and experienced them on hand , that i tend to stay away from them now, just my opinion. Sorry for rambling.

Originally posted by norbs
Its nice to know gen 7 dfi has all that built in. My MSD boxed burned out after 2 months, will never buy one again.............
So the Gen 7 has multiple spark discharge also???
This is one thing i believe it helps with is spark output,I have had mine (bought used) for 2 years problem free witha FAST system.Although i did find that if your voltage is less than adequate the car wll not start,Plug it in and hook a jumper ox or hd battey charger and see if it starts

Tried battery jumpbox, etc and still no go. Hooked up old box and fired right off. All I am hooking up is the heavy power and ground wires, everything else is the existing harness. MSD had no info other than possible bad box, send it back, etc. I guess it's going back to Summit for an exchange. More details when I get a new box and try it.

Greg Kring
Arlington, Texas

Back