You can type here any text you want

New motor damaged in shipping!

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

kolb02

Got my new motor yesterday, everything looked perfect. It was wrapped up really good and on a metal stand. No sign of any damage. I get it home like 15min later and I open it up and find this. Any suggestions? Should I run the motor?

Attachments

• 1415302477196.jpg
    1415302477196.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 552
  • 1415302503479.jpg
    1415302503479.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 495
  • 1415302542747.jpg
    1415302542747.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 501
Last edited:
It looks like the frame of the stand even cracked and the bolts holding it to the pallet were broke in half.

Attachments

• 1415302686981.jpg
    1415302686981.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 390
  • 1415302711819.jpg
    1415302711819.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 380
I'd pull the vc, and then turn the engine to be sure the valves aren't bent.
Remove the filter and be sure the oil pump/ft cover isn't damaged.
If that all checks out, take a look at the balancer to be sure the crank isn't bent.
All's well... I'd run it.

The retards that made that cradle need to go to welding school.:rolleyes:
It should have been thru bolted, not screwed down.
Furthermore, there's no need to have the engine so far off the pallet.

The forklift idiot likely didn't help.

I pulled the valve cover and everything looks great. Turned the motor over and it looks good too. They used bolts to hold it down, they just broke in half. I think the cradle did it's job. It almost looks like the ran into it with something.

They had to hit it pretty damn hard to do that much damage. Do you have another set of valve covers or at least the passenger side? Like Chuck said I am sure it is good as long as it checks out and turns freely without any binding. did you call the shipper and make a claim? If not I would do that immediately and send them the pictures that you posted here. Pretty bad to have that much damage in shipping.

Care to share who the shipper was, as I am about to ship a motor cross country. I am sure others will be curious too.

I used R&L Carriers out of Phoenix, AZ and then it went to Mergenthaler/MTS freight. I think it was Mergenthaler that did it. I have shipped many motors and received many motors and have never had this happen before.

k thanks I use R & L never had issue. Was MTS used from a terminal to final destinaton ?? TIA

GOOD LUCK hope all will be well !!

Last edited:
I would be concerned parts of the broken valve cover fell down the oil return holes...

Me too. Nothing went down in there. We got all the debris out. Lucky the oil passages are up top on the head.

Send it back and let them check it all out.
There could be hidden damage that will bite you later.

Back