New/old stereo setup

incubus2432

Douchebag
My wife gave me some of her bonus money for me to use on shananigans so I chose to get some useable tunes in my GN. I have an older Alpine headunit (CDA-7940)....it may be 10-ish years old but was/is a GREAT solid stereo. It has no internal amp but I have two Alpine V12 4x50 watt amps (same vintage) to go with it. I debated about getting a newer unit but I would have run out of my "free money" to get the one I wanted. Besides....with the iPod hookup I should be all set. I'm not looking to break any sound records (obviously) but I do like my Motorhead to be a little loud with good lowend and I think I'll accomplish that just fine.

I went with the 8" SoloBaric L5 subs because they have the area of traditional 10" subs AND, as an important bonus, I was able to find a dual box for 'em that will just fit under the package tray on the raised portion in the trunk. So I can attach my amps to the box and have everything neatly out of the way. I debated about going with 6x9's in the rear but didn't want any intereference issues with the torsen springs for the decklid. The Polk "momo" 4x6's should handle the midrange just fine. Not going with the 6x9's made the subs a "must have" though. For fronts the Infinity Kappa 3.5" two ways should cover the high end well enough.

Here's what I got to go along with what I had laying around.

From Crutchfield.....

108327CF Infinity Kappa 32.7cf 3-1/2" 2-way Speakers $99.99
1421507B General Motors Kit 1982-up, U/I, R $19.99
120701677 GM Wire Harness receiver, 1985-up $ 9.99
127ICALPA PAC iPod to Alpine Ai-Net iPod Adapter Cable $29.99

From Ebay.....

POLK MOMO MMC410 4x10 CAR MARINE SPEAKERS 140w PAIR NEW $90.00

From Etronics.....

Kicker 05S8L5 Solo-Baric L5 8" 4-ohm Subwoofer $89.66 (x2)

From Sonic Electronix....

SoloBaric Sonic Sub Box: 2SVK8: $34.99

I just posted sources, part #'s and prices so I could help out in case anyone else is shopping around.....I looked around plenty.

I'll update on how it works out if anyone is interested.

Nothing at all wrong with older equipment. :cool:

I'm still using my 1978 Zapco 165 watt RMS amplifier I bought new in the olden days. :p

Works just fine for my rear channel and sound quality is about as good as any other good amp. out there today, plus it's built ruggedly.

Hasn't skipped a beat in almost 30 years since the first year when I fried the power supply hooking it up wrong. :rolleyes:

Also using an older 1993 Kenwood head unit that works as well as the day I bought it, also no amp. in it pre-amp. only, it was top of the line back then.

Wish I could say the same for the first generation Kenwood CD changer, those sucked. :mad:

Good luck with the install. :smile: