You can type here any text you want

New to Forum, Questions about my TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

81TTA-CaliStyle

Fbody Fan
First off Hello! i just bought an 81 TTA with 69.9k orig miles for 2k i'm the second owner now and just had a few questions about my new car. I havent picked it up yet but its paid for and sitting at my Grandma's house in Sacramento, i drove a 1990 Iroc-Z hard top 5 speed that i just sold last month actually and was a die hard fan and tried to learn all i could about my little LB9 motor. Anyways, my dad owned a junkyard when i was 8 and thats when i really got into cars, i was talking to my dad a month ago and asked him what he thought i wouldve liked most out of his yard and his 2 answers were a cuda with a 440, or the TTA he sold to an employee, i had heard rumors about TTA's but had never seen one, found this one in the local dealer magazine as a private owner and jumped at it. My biggest question is what can i do to this car to make it lay waste and pick up where i left off with the iroc with my competition in school, and where can i get these parts? i sold the Iroc for 4500.00 and as i said paid 2k for the TTA, so i've got some money to spend on this car, it does need repair, i guess the plumbing on the turbo needs to be looked at, seals are rotted, and the motor needs valve guide seals. I believe its Carb'd? but that wouldnt make sense to me on a turbo'd motor, please all the info and parts links you guys can lend would be awesome!
thanks, and its a pleasure to be here!
Kevin aka 81TTA-CaliStyle

Should have taken the 440 Cuda! A turbo 81 T/A will never be worth the same $ or have the same power potential. Well, that being said, there are alot of second gen restore parts so thats a positive for you. Your best bet is to restore it to as close to stock as possible. The turbo 301 is unfortunately not a great place to start for performance. You might try Classical Pontiac or Firebirds Forever Car Club for more direct information on the car. I had a 79 T/A with a 403 (another not so loved engine) and had some fun with it.

The "rumors" you had heard about TTA's were of the 1989 era, not the 1980/81 era. The 80/81 TTA's cannot be made to go fast without replacing the engine with something different. The '89 TTA have the Buick turbo V6 motor in them from the famed Grand National...2 totally different TTA's.
May not be what you wanted to hear if you have already went thru with the purchase, but that can be life if you don't study up on things before dropping the cash.

Pronto said:

My old 81, I'd take it (or damn near any TA) over a POS Chrysler any day.
my81tta.jpg

I agree but it will NEVER be worth what a 440 Cuda will be and it will NEVER go like a 440.

Pronto said:
but it will NEVER be worth what a 440 Cuda will be and it will NEVER go like a 440.

You ain't kidding. And to think I turned down a Plum Crazy 440-6 back in '99 for $17.5K. Can you imagine what it would be worth today?

Grumpy said:
I'd go with the 440 Cuda and I hate Mopar's :biggrin:

Yea, a 440 Cuda does have more value parted out than a TTA huh :biggrin:

Metal said:
Yea, a 440 Cuda does have more value parted out than a TTA huh :biggrin:

ya it has more than an 81 TTA :p ok ok ok maybe the 89 TTA along with the other one to :biggrin:

Nice looking 1981 NASCAR Turbo Trans Am Metal!
I had one of those years back. An 1980 Indy Turbo Trans Am too!
A 1980 Indy Turbo Trans Am sold for over $40,000 at Barrett jackson this last time! I was shocked!
As for these cars not going fast, there are some people who get these cars into the 12s! Yep, 301 turbos!
Welcome to Trans Am ownership 81TTA-Cali-Style!
You should check out the Trans Am club Davege is in!

George :cool:

mr.turbota said:
A 1980 Indy Turbo Trans Am sold for over $40,000 at Barrett jackson this last time! I was shocked!

I saw that and I could not beleave the 76 T/A with the 455 (200hp) and 4speed which sold in the 40's as well. :eek:

- Dave

davege said:
I saw that and I could not beleave the 76 T/A with the 455 (200hp) and 4speed which sold in the 40's as well. :eek:

- Dave

You guys don't want to know what I sold that 81 for :frown: ... I did see it on eBay maybe two years ago sell for only $5500.00 :confused:

mr.turbota said:

DAM!! I heard someone mention that and thought it was a Joke :eek:
If thats true it certainly put our '89s in the Crapper!

TClassic said:
DAM!! I heard someone mention that and thought it was a Joke :eek:
If thats true it certainly put our '89s in the Crapper!

Give them time! :biggrin:

- Dave

Back