You can type here any text you want

New to methanol

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

fordfitted

Hey all! I have a 1987 gn, its got a ton of bolt ons, a gn1performance custom66 turbo kit with the downpipe and boost controller, a 9" torque converter, i did all the fuel upgrades, the stainless steel fuel lines all the way from the brand new gas tank to the motor, injectors, a walbro fuel pump, an in line fuel pump, cold air intake, external wastegate, all of this stuff is literally brand new, and being installed right now, all of it should be done tomorrow by noon, i cant wait :) with the chip he supplied me, we are going to run it at 17 psi at 93 octane. I also did a full 3 inch exhaust, catless, all the way headers back. I put a ton of money into everything, i am almost certain that the only thing that is not brand new top of the line parts is the motor and throttle body. O, the ignition system is stock, i did not change it. I bet it will hold me back, maybe someone can give me opinions on what i should do with that. Basically i want the car to be my weekend warrior, and be 10 second capable whenever i want. Im thinking it should possibly be in the high 10's with slicks out back on aluminum rims all around? Next step is doing a motor rebuild, probably a stroker with strong internals, a decent cam, and port my stock heads and intake, refresh the heads with new springs and what not. This is my first grand national, i have a 2007 mustang gt/cs with a novi 2200 intercooled blower on it, aluminum driveshaft, exhaust work, it put down 490 rwhp and i think 430-440 rwtq. around that number. I want the grand national to beat it :biggrin: Let me know what you all think! o my question. If i kept the motor stock and didn't touch it or the throttle body yet, can i bring the boost up a good amount with methanol? 22-23 pounds safely? I need advice, talk to me! thanks everyone, cant wait to start learning and meeting everyone.

Welcome to TurboBuick.com!

GNs don't like a bunch of changes, it's usually best to install one thing, tune, then add another. Once you get all the boltons tuned and running right, then look to increase boost with the methanol. Oh & BEFORE YOU DO ANYTHING, get a scanmaster or datalogger! You must tune it for ZERO detonation at anything over stock boost levels. The stock ignition is very good, but you'll need to gap the plugs tighter if you're running higher boost.

I can say my V6 has more torque than your GT because of methanol:D

Congrats on the GN, hang around here and read, read, read & soon enough your GN will lay waste to your stang!

Thanks for the quick reply, well like i said, all of this stuff is already being done and basically done already, picking it up tomorrow at about noon. I Also have the ls1 MAF translator, and the parts associated with it, a dual fan aluminum radiator (the one that costs 575 from gn1performance) I have the stock tstat, which i think i want to go get a 160 degree. I wonder how much power im going to make. I really have no idea on 17psi. I hope i guess 375rwhp? That would be awesome, and i guess 450 rwtq would be bad@$$. I doubt ill make those numbers right now, Maybe after meth ill make even more. The stock ignition is good? For how fast :)

I'm not too familiar with performance after doing heads, I wanted to get a set of heads, but new heads on a 155k mile bottom end didn't seem like a good idea to me. I would think 17psi with a good set of heads would be almost like 21/22 psi on stock heads which seems possible to be around 375hp. Dump that stock T-stat right away, and when you replace it, install a new billet t-stat housing since the stock one is probably rusted. There are guys using stock ignition into the 9's.

like "he" said ign is fine.. just make sure everything is up to snuff. What size inj ?? running 22-23#s with meth shouldn't be a problem at all.. NO KNOCK is what you are shooting for.

Back