You can type here any text you want

New to the board & 89 TTA

Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Scott89TTA

Hello to all,

I'm new to the board...just purchased my 89 TTA this past May from the 2nd owner (44K) and in very nice shape. It had been garaged since new and never driven in the winter and very little rain. Originaly from Michigan and sold to the 2nd owner in Mt.Airy MD in Oct. - Nov. 2003 and then to me (Eldersburg, MD) this past May. Now I have one of my all time favorite cars and hope to learn all I can about this awesome car from you guys :cool:

Scott

Welcome and congrats on purchasing one of the best kept secret cars... and one of the easiest on the planet to mod :) If you decide to go that route.

Start the reading.... it will sink in after a while ...

welcome aboard. ive only had mine a few months as well.

you will find lots of help and tons of information here about your car.

enjoy.

Thanks guys...I plan to do a little moding but not too much as the car is all stock right now. I'd like to keep it looking stock for the most part ;) I've had a couple of talks with John (johnsperfomance) about things to do and #1 on his list seems to be to replace the valve springs with new 100lb springs. I need to get it to the track 1st and see where it stands in stock trim and then go from there. I do know quite a few GN guys and my younger brother once had an 87 GN that was pretty modded up as well. Other things I here to do are: Scanmaster, THDP, power plate, 8" K&N, Hotwire kit, lockup switch, adjustable waste gate and some sort of chip. I would think this stuff will really wake it up...just not sure what order to do them in if I don't do all at once. Over the winter I plan to pull thing down some and do some cleaning and also am considering JetHot coating most of the exhaust parts to help cool things down and prolong their life as well. Most of the turbo guys I have talked to suggested cleaning up (smoothing) all edges in and out on the turbo to help increase the flow. Any thoughts or other suggestions would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks again,

do a scan master before anything else. without it, you are dead in the water.

an alky kit is another thing to consider. its amazing how much that stuff helps get rid of detonation.

and yes, springs are important too.

your about the 4th person that has told me that about the Scanmaster...2 TTA & 2 GN guys. I checked out the alcohol injection site in Razor's sig. definitely looks like the thing to do as well.

Thanks,

Welcome!

You are way ahead of the game if you listen and read here....A lot of smart people on the board. :)

Congrats, Scott

Sounds like a nice buy

Here's my $.02

things to do in order of importance

Scanmaster- you need this tool to see what the ECM and sensors are doing

Kaspers Knock gage

Valve springs in these cars is a maintainance item (my cars springs were so bad at 35k miles that the car fell off at 4500 rpm. and were so weak that, once the rockers were removed, you could turn them with your hand)

Adjustable waste gate,

aftermarket chip. Although I have never run one, the thrasher 93 seems a good starting point.

Adjustable fuel pressure regulator and fuel pressure gage.

decide weither you wanna go alky kit or race gas for boost over 18 psi
depending on which way you go the chip choice and learning curve on tuning are different (I use race gas primarily cuz it is easy to get for me. at local gas stations)

the "hotwire kit" is not as nessisary on a tta vs GN because the TTA has heavier wiring to the fuel pump there fore the TTA has less voltage drop.

the THDP is not nessisary

RJ plate did not work for me

Decide on a goal ie high twelves, mid 12's or whatever.

once you decide on a goal then the advise will flow

for reference, my best run this year ia a 12.39 at 110.5 on stock turbo, stock exhaust, stock down pipe, gutted cat, 5" K&N cone on stock elbo, 36# blue tops, upgraded fuel pump, 110 octane fuel, 100 octane chip, 21 psi boost, Nitto DR's

Scott89TTA said:
Hello to all,

I'm new to the board...just purchased my 89 TTA this past May from the 2nd owner (44K) and in very nice shape. It had been garaged since new and never driven in the winter and very little rain. Originaly from Michigan and sold to the 2nd owner in Mt.Airy MD in Oct. - Nov. 2003 and then to me (Eldersburg, MD) this past May. Now I have one of my all time favorite cars and hope to learn all I can about this awesome car from you guys :cool:

Scott

Hey Scott welcome! Awesome car. I love mine. Like the boys said take some time and check all the boards look around and you'll find a ton of information on these cars. Don't forget to check out Turbo Trans Am .com and sign up and register your car there. There is also t6p.com has a section for TTA owners and turbobuicks.com and turbobuicks.net 89TTA.com is another awesome site And last but not least join up at MAGNA and bring that baby out to one of our local meets! We meet once a month. Enjoy! :cool: Oh and lets see some pics!! :D

phillyturbosix said:
Hey Scott welcome! Awesome car. I love mine. Like the boys said take some time and check all the boards look around and you'll find a ton of information on these cars. :cool: Oh and lets see some pics!! :D

Thanks for the welcome...I am definitely loving this car :cool:

Here are a few pic's... ;)

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

picture.JPG

Nice car! I want a set of those inserts for the door handles that say pace car! I've never seen them they are awsome....

David

macatoni said:
Nice car! I want a set of those inserts for the door handles that say pace car! I've never seen them they are awsome....

David

Johns Performance... only $5.00 :cool:

definitely get a new chip first. My car did not like more than 17lbs of boost on the stock chip. I was getting MAF drop outs. I had 100 octane in the car, so I was not getting knock. Maybe just toss a thrasher 93
in for now. $30 new. $10-$20 used.

Welcome!!

I'll be the 5th or 6th person to tell you to buy a scanmaster FIRST!

If you are smart in your purchases, you will go fast with a little of nothing and the parts will actually pay for themselves in the long run.

Back